Standing Rigging question, ARC 21

Technical discussion of ARC products
Eric2101
Professional
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 15

Standing Rigging question, ARC 21

Post by Eric2101 »

What is the proper way to make the bottom end of the side stay (shroud) for the ARC21. I just replaced the standing rigging, the rigger used stainless thimbles with a double swage. The problem is that the lower swage gets in the way if I try to rake the mast, it is limiting the thimble from going past the 2nd hole because the swage is too fat to enter the attachment area.

Should the thimble be replaced be a marine eye?
Eric Arbogast
Supercat 15
Bill Roberts
Expert

ARC Shroud Rigging

Post by Bill Roberts »

You have it figured out correctly, Eric. The factory shrouds terminate with marine eye fittings at the lower end. A thimble and sleeve swage is cheaper but it is so fat that it compromises the shroud adjustment with shroud levers. It is all part of the righting system that comes on your boat.
Bill
Eric2101
Professional

MArine eye.

Post by Eric2101 »

Bill,

Do you suppose I can have the rigger un swage them and re rig it with an eye without creating a safety issue?
Eric Arbogast
Supercat 15
Bill Roberts
Expert

Unswage??????

Post by Bill Roberts »

Eric,
You and the rigger are in unknown territory unmaking a sleeve treminal and then reswaging a new fitting over that same portion of the wire. I do not know from experience the answer to your question. I do know that it is not normally done. I do know that the wire is perminately compressed under a sleeve swage. Therefore it is unlikely that to reswage over a wire that is now slightly smaller in diameter will have full strength. I would not risk it. The potential of damaging the sails and mast and ruining another weekend of sailing is not worth it.
It looks/ sounds to me like your rigger did not duplicate your old rigging with new identical parts. I would think the rigger should replace your wires with new wires of the same length, diameter and terminal end fittings. This should not be your problem. This is the riggers problem for not duplicating your original rigging. It is no different than if he had made up a new wire of the wrong length.
Bill
Eric2101
Professional

Standing rigging

Post by Eric2101 »

Unfortunatly, I received the boat with this style rigging and then took that rigging to get it duplicated.

A note to al of you. don't fool with the specs, it will cost you later. (or it will cost the next owner)
Eric Arbogast
Supercat 15
Bill Roberts
Expert

Problems

Post by Bill Roberts »

Eric,
You are really having a hard time with this particular boat. The previous owner changed many things including the sails, the standing rigging, the running rigging and the hulls are pretty beat up. It is going to take a significant amount of money to return this boat to factory specifications. Then it will sail like it should and you will be pleased with its performance. I'll be glad to help anyway I can.
Bill