Possible new SuperCat owner

General Sailing Discussion
kootenaysail
Novice
Boat Make/Model: sc17

Possible new SuperCat owner

Post by kootenaysail »

I've been hoping for a SC19 but have just found a decent looking SC17 within driving distance.
Any opinions/ideas about these great boats. Seller is responsive and claims boat is up to snuff and comes on a nice trailer.
Interesting that it comes with reef points as I have only seen these on older Hobie 16's.
By the sail number it seems to be a early model.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
T Peterson
Professional
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 17

Re: Possible new SuperCat owner

Post by T Peterson »

My original Supercat had reef points in the sail - I seem to recall I ordered it that way. The logo on the sail looks original. Let us know if you buy it! And then take a week and read everything on this forum...
Beavertailskiff
Novice
Boat Make/Model: 1982 SC17

Post by Beavertailskiff »

I just bought #495, 1982. Sail # is in HIN. Same colors as yours. $700 barn find. Dirty and stained but solid with a new tramp. Got about 3 hours unirigged before I took it down to sand/polish hulls. This is no P16 or H16!!
Waiex191
Devloping

Reef points

Post by Waiex191 »

T Peterson wrote: July 27th, 2019, 8:26 am My original Supercat had reef points in the sail - I seem to recall I ordered it that way. The logo on the sail looks original. Let us know if you buy it! And then take a week and read everything on this forum...
Sorry to revive an old thread. Tyler, how does the reef points work with the boom batten? On my sail there is a slug at the bottom of the sail below the boom batten. It would seem like I wouldn't be able to put that in the track with a part of the sail rolled up.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL - C77
Supercat 17 (future) and a couple of foam monohulls
T Peterson
Professional

Post by T Peterson »

Here are the only photos I can find of my boat with the sail reefed. My halyard wire had two slugs on it - one for normal use and one for reefing. As you can see there was a second attachment plate for the mainsheet. I don't have a close-up of the downhaul but you can kind of see the extra grommets at the reefing luff point.
N.jpg
L.jpg
C.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Waiex191
Devloping

Post by Waiex191 »

Thanks! So the boom batten is just wrapped up and nothing is in the mast track below the reefing point - do I understand this correctly?

Over at thebeachcats.com they are saying that nobody reefs cats unless they are doing endurance races or something. Is it worth having reef points?
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL - C77
Supercat 17 (future) and a couple of foam monohulls
T Peterson
Professional

Post by T Peterson »

That is correct -

I got reefing points put in because I planned a couple longer trips alone and wanted to be able to sail solo in heavier winds without being overpowered. This boat sails very well with the jib rolled up, which is also a very effective way of de-powering. The boat is hard to tack without the jib but you can always tack into irons, backwind the main, glide backwards, and finish your tack.

Also, if you are sailing off the beach, and the wind is mostly on shore, I find it almost impossible to get the boat going without the jib to pull the bow around. So, I use the jib to get off the beach and get going, then roll up the jib, and it sails just fine.

My opinion is that if you are going day sailing, and you have a crew, and it is too windy to sail with the jib rolled up, then don't go out.

I think Bill Roberts wrote in here somewhere, if it's blowing 20+, find something else fun to do.