Did Anyone Notice???

General Sailing Discussion
Bill Roberts
Expert

Did Anyone Notice???

Post by Bill Roberts »

The Wave class:
Last year the Wave National Championship Regatta was sailed in a fresh breeze. An average size adult male won the championship. Then along came their World Championship Regatta, 2004, sailed in light winds and a 12 year old male won the races. This year the Wave Nationals were sailed in light winds and an average weight adult female won the regatta. IS THIS BOAT WEIGHT SENSITIVE OR WHAT??? I do not mean to take anything away from the sailors that won the reces. They are the champions of their class and good for them!
Being technically interested in boats and knowing that hull drag varies with total sailing weight especially on short boats like the Wave, the Laser, the Sunfish, etc , I thought I would point this out. On longer hulls the effects of total sailing weight variations and hull drag/boat speed differencies are diminished.
The ARC 22 and 27 and 30 are good boats for larger people. These boats are not nearly as sensitive to total sailing weight differencies as 18 and 20 ft long boats.
Bill
Mike
Hot Shot

Post by Mike »

Bill I totally agree and find it interesting that they dont have weight classes or anything like that to make it more even. By the way I am trying to get the Triple Crown stuff organized and plan on doing all 3 events. Will be staying in Key Largo for the week in between. Perhaps you guys should plan on the same?

Catch you later !