Traveler lines

Technical discussion of ARC products
JOE CRUMP
Novice

Traveler lines

Post by JOE CRUMP »

I own an older SC20T with the traveler that runs on the cable.What is the best way to manage the lines necessary to operate this system. What is the best routing for the line? Can the system be modified without replacing the existing traveler? The traveler has a cleat on each side.
When tacking down wind, there is an excess of loose line on the leeward side of the boat.
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Joe,

Something doesn't sound right about your traveler setup. In particular your statement about a "cleat on both sides" and loose line on the downwind side....

The original setup for the SC20TR with telescoping beams consisted of a single cleat on the cable traveler car. From this cleat the line routed through a Harken Bullet Block with a becket that was attached to the center of the rear beam on the front side. After going through the bullet block it returned to the traveler car and passed through another bullet block without a becket (098 if I recall) that was attached with a shackle to the bottom of the traveler car. After leaving the block on the traveler car the line returned to the block on the rear beam and terminated with a bowline on the becket.

This setup allowed traveler adjustment with a single line. The purchase was only 2:1 so adjusting while under load was difficult in some conditions but overall the system worked well.

I hope this helps...
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com