Tiller extesnion

Technical discussion of ARC products
Mike
Hot Shot

Tiller extesnion

Post by Mike »

Hey Tom,
I broke my tiller extension and need to order another one. The one I have looks like an Arriba stick from Murrays with an alum. extension about 16 inche added on . Its a tube that fits inside the Arriba stick and is held in place with a tiny screw. Is this normal?I have already received a new stick ( the longest they make) from Murrays so do I really need the extension?

Thanks and hope you guys have a great Christmas!!!

Mike Kelley
Tom Haberman
Expert

Post by Tom Haberman »

Mike,

We use the standard longest length ( we buy direct from mfg) available.
Originally we did not use an extension piece but we had numerous complaints about it being too short. In fact it is probably long enough but when it is fully extended it is pretty bendy and easily fractured because the inner tube is right at the peak on the deck line if you bail off the boat :). When you have the longer overlap this minimizes this problem.
We added the extension so that when it is extended to a comfortable length it has a long overlap and hence quite a bit stiffer. (Both inner & outer tube at deck line.)
Many years ago the manufacturer made us some units that were 18" longer but the cost was out of site.
The extension was originally used with small screws but, we no longer use them. A good epoxy bond has proven more than adequate.

I have similar stick (all carbon) and ended up extending it anyhow because I am just more comfortable that way.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.
Sincerely,

Tom Haberman