mast pre-bend question? Self tackers?

General Sailing Discussion
supercatter20
Novice

mast pre-bend question? Self tackers?

Post by supercatter20 »

I recently purchased a 33' mast and squaretop main and jib from a supercat 19xl for use on my supercat 20... The mast came with all the rigging dismantled so I'm trying to find out if this setup requires prebend or not and if so... how much prebend is required? Also....the jib was a self tacker with a curved track on the sc 19 and I'm setting up a straight track system which I decided, after reading all the posts on catsailor forums from Bill Roberts, that this was the way to go. Do i need to do any mods to this jib to convert it from a curved track self-tacking jib to a straight track self-tacker?
Thanks in advance for any and all replies.....any input as to the pros and cons of straight versus curved tracks are most welcome too.

P.S. Does anyone know where I can find a good maybe used chute or hooter sized for the SC-20?

Thanks.....Determined to become competitive again this year!
Supercats......and ARC's rule! :)
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Hi There,
The 19XL mast was originally rigged with pre-bend. The amount of pre-bend required is ultimately a function of sailcut, but there are some base guidelines you should follow. (I will try to get you some more information on this)
The self-tacking jib on the SC19XL was originally designed with a straight track, if this boat had a curved track, it was not factory original. I am not sure which threads you read on catsailor, but there may have been some misunderstanding to what Bill's statements were. The curved track is really the ideal way to go and ALL of the ARC-22's come equipped with the curved track. Unfortunately the curved track is expensive and the narrow beam of the smaller boats make it more difficult to implement effectively. The cut of the Jibs should be very similar, but the curved track will allow the jib to trim better. Not matter which way you decide to go, it will be light years ahead of the original setup on your SC-20.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com