Wings

Post by marromano »

Any one have any information on wings for a SC 17
DanBerger
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC 15 w/ spin!, SC 19

Wings

Post by DanBerger »

I hate to send you to a different site, but I em pretty sure Aquarius doesn't offer them.

Performance catamarans makes a set for the Nacras and Prindles that would work on a Supercat with a little adapting. I believe you can order them through Murrays as well.

The problem is that Performance isn't crazy about selling them. They had the frames and tramps made, but the company that made the rubber plugs that they fit into (in the frames) flaked on them and stopped making the plugs. really, they about trippled the price on them which put them too expensive to sell.

You could get the frames and tramps from Performance and make your own plugs for your beams.

On the other hand, I heard that performance was making wings that attached to the outside of the beams and folded up like the Hobie 18. I never followed up on that, but you can try calling them..

Hope this helps.
Bill Roberts
Expert

Post by Bill Roberts »

You have to be careful about wings. Wings directly increase righting moment as the sailor's weight moves further outboard. Righting moment is directly related to rig loads/stresses. A boat designed without wings can easily be overstressed when wings are added.
The Tornado class added the skipped to the trapeze position, more righting moment, and BANG, new masts and sails are required along with higher mechanical advantage mainsheet systems. Main beams are now made stronger also. Everything affects everything else.
marromano
Novice

Post by marromano »

Hi Bill,

Thank you for the tip.
I think i will desist of this idea.

Regards,

Marco