SC 20' rudder came off - ideas to fix it?

Technical discussion of ARC products
cxlvii
Novice

Post by cxlvii »

Hi,

My starboard rudder lower casting came off during a sail yesterday after I had fixed it this spring. Last fall I ran into some lower ground and disloged the lower casting. In the spring I used some West Expoxy and thickened it some, filled the hole and bolt prior to setting the rudder casting back on. Didn't work well - about 15 outings.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions? I've come up with three so far:

1. Use some heli coil and fasten it with lock tite

2. Use a brass fitting and fasten it with lock tite

3. Cut the hull in the stern and insert a porthole to give me access to the affected internal area; fix it with some fibreglass; and put a plate with welded nuts on the inside to reinforce the whole area.

Option 3 with the port hole gives me the visibility to check the internal damage. I'm worried about the integrity of the foam sandwich. However, do I create another issue with inserting a porthole?

Finally, the last consideration is I'd like to get it back in the water ASAP to enjoy the end of this New England summer.
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

I think your questions were addressed during a phone conversation yesterday.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
cxlvii
Novice

Post by cxlvii »

Matt,

Thanks. I tried the heli coil and it looks like it will work - I went out sailing tonight and it held tight. Send me a quote on the plastic pins we spoke about at your earliest convenience. I'd like to install them soon - this should prevent it from ripping out again under impact.