Seized mast ball roll pin

Technical discussion of ARC products
Jonathan Levine
Hot Shot
Boat Make/Model: SC19, SC20

Seized mast ball roll pin

Post by Jonathan Levine »

I probably could have gotten going with the old ball, but it looks like 40 years of UV exposure and I'm trying to clean up as many loose ends as possible.

So I carefully cut off the ball, and now I can't get the roll pin out of the base (the forward end of the pin was already broken off). That 40 years of corrosion has really done a number on it. I tapped and squeezed and it won't budge - don't want to hit it any harder for fear of fracturing the base. Am I going to have to unbolt the base from the crossbeam and put it in the press? I read a mention of ACF-50 as being great for freeing up this kind of corrosion. Anyone have any experience it with (or anything else positive)? Some other trick I don't know?
Jonathan Levine
Hot Shot
Boat Make/Model: SC19, SC20

Re: Seized mast ball roll pin

Post by Jonathan Levine »

Solved. I got a little sample of ACF-50, and though it certainly didn't hurt, it didn't allow me to tap the pin out either. If I'm chicken and afraid to hit it hard enough, so be it - I'm not going to risk this casting. I dug out my old ball joint press (really just an oversized C-clamp) and was able to press the pin out. Now I'm going to be on the hunt for a hand press (like this, not hydraulic) that's a little less unwieldy; might just have to modify a C-clamp if I can find one suitable.

[edit]

Maybe something like this:

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8885592e