Supercat 17 damage on the top of the hull

Technical discussion of ARC products
Waiex191
Devloping
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 17

Supercat 17 damage on the top of the hull

Post by Waiex191 »

Yesterday I noticed a dent in the top of the starboard hull. I first noticed a dent in the extrusion that hold the tramp. Then I realized the top of the hull looks pushed down on the outboard side of the extrusion and the inboard side seems to have a crack. Curious what the board thinks of this - should I open it up and repair it? This picture is looking aft, behind the forward beam.
starboard hull dent.jpg
I've been reading through the forums on repairs. I've seen a couple where people had cut out the area, either to the bottom lamination if not damaged, or all the way through and then bonded a cured piece cut out to fit the hole, followed by vacuum bagging new foam and new top plies. I'm assuming that would be the path here if this area needed repair.

Thanks,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL - C77
Supercat 17 (future) and a couple of foam monohulls
gahamby
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 15#315

Re: Supercat 17 damage on the top of the hull

Post by gahamby »

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=622

I had a similar problem. The PO had dropped the mast on the port hull up forward. It resulted in the glass delaminating there at the top seam.
I dried it out and re attached it. It has held since. The glass from the two halves laps over up there. The damage wasn't structural.
You might want to remove the tramp rail.
I use a soldering gun to heat the screws to break loose the bedding compound. If the rail itself is bedded it's tricky.
A heat gun will flow the bedding compound but mind scorching the glass. A hot wire cutter might do it. Heating up a putty knife and sliding it under the rail has worked for me.
Sand away the flakey areas. You might be able to lift the delaminated glass, slather in some resin, and squeeze it shut. If you could vacuum bag it, that would be great. I had to use strap clamps, furring strips and wax paper. It was a bit of a mess.
Avoid breaching the hull lamination if at all possible.
Waiex191
Devloping
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 17

Post by Waiex191 »

Thanks gahamby for the reply. I am pretty sure that one of the prior owners sustained the damage during a hurricane. This boat has been owned by a series of Sikorsky (or former Sikorsky) engineers for a long time. The outboard part of the damage looks crushed - like the outside mold line is pressed down some. I'll have to measure how much. On the inside it looks cracked. I read your thread and that seems a little different, like the join line split.

I do have a vacuum pump. I've also got a gallon and a half of epoxy resin minus whatever we have used for other projects. I'll have to see if I can get better pictures.

I think I would need to remove the tramp rail. It is right in the middle of the damage and is also bent.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL - C77
Supercat 17 (future) and a couple of foam monohulls
Kevin Keller
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC-20, ARC22

Post by Kevin Keller »

I would grind away the area that’s cracked. Your fiberglass/resin looks like it’s probably cracked too. I’d remove down to non damaged material and re-glass it. Otherwise the area might continue to move and crack with weight on the trampoline. Vacuum bagging might be a little difficult with the screw holes unless you plug them first and let them harden.

I’m assuming there is a foam core in that area. Tom or Matt would know.