Supercat 20 and 17

General Sailing Discussion
WaldoLakeCat
Novice
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 20

Supercat 20 and 17

Post by WaldoLakeCat »

Few questions...
Just picked up a Supercat 20 10 hours away from home and I've driven further for one.
1)Tom or Matt..you familiar with the steel expandable<port side> trailer? Appreciate any experience with them.

..Tom, I know you've mentioned its easier opening in the lake but I need to be able to do it alone. I did have another 20 that I sold before I moved to Eureka and at the time I purchased it.. didnt like how the alum ttrailer trailered besides the cables/wheels/pulleys were in shambles. So I built a steel one using galvanized sign post tube for crosspeices. I used 2 of the 3 sizes that nest within each other. 2 long crosspeices and 4 extensions. It worked good enough with patience..by myself.

Has original lion/supercat sticker on rear hull.
Hull # FMS SS00211179
2) A 1979 Formulae? What would have the sail # have been? 111?
No original mainsail.
On front hulls it has a long top cover or cap. Recall shorter ones on previous Supercats but my recall isn't what it used to be.
Likely needs the new inner bulkhead replacement for bow tang.
Also need alum mast base sleeve. Misc.
4) A Supercat 20 owners manual have pdf?
5) Another thing it has cheek blocks in corners of rear beam. I assume for further trimming traveler/main?
Last 20 and 19 didn't have but wondered if it exsisted and dynamics achieved with one.
6) My DS cable is shot ..original swages are very bulbous. In one of the threads Bill R addressed a DS cable and advised inspection on what from my knowledge is a swageless fitting.
In that Bill R addressed an inspection ... they're OK for use with ⅜ 316 wire?(Mac M : Dolphin striker wire tension) 2013

Regarding the Supercat 17 #82..it's pictured a several posts down and was for sale(CL) near Eugene August 2020. I was tempted to buy it back and believe it was still in my name. Info for someone who may have bought it..I saw it advertised 2011/2? on CL in Payette ID missing sails. I found a fellow in TN parting a 17 and sent $$ for sails/rigging. Thats the basic story behind it. Built a gin pole for stepping mast. Flipped it with friend and his wife while pointing at last place I flipped it and blew to shore. Also rescued 4 kids a mile off shore with no life preservers..in cold Waldo Lake..1000lbs + of crew. Back 3' was submerged. A parent thanked me later. Gas powered motors are not allowed on the lake so not much in the way rescue vessels.

Sorry to be so windy..haven't been on here in awhile.
Needless to say..the Supercats have always given me fond memories, adventures and stories. And sailing is far more interesting than owning a cell phone. Ha. Something to share even with strangers makes it worthwhile. Ive got 17+ folks, 3 generations, to take out this summer. Guess I'm back in the game.
Tom I will contact you for a few parts.
Thanks Paul G
Eureka CA
formerly
Salem OR
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Re: Supercat 20 and 17

Post by Matt Haberman »

Hi Paul,
Please see my comments below:
WaldoLakeCat wrote: April 15th, 2021, 1:26 pm Few questions...
Just picked up a Supercat 20 10 hours away from home and I've driven further for one.
1)Tom or Matt..you familiar with the steel expandable<port side> trailer? Appreciate any experience with them.

The only expandable trailer I have had experience with is the aluminum trailex version. When they worked they worked great, but more often then not they didn't work that well and you were better off expanding the boat with one hull on the beach and the other floating in the water.

..Tom, I know you've mentioned its easier opening in the lake but I need to be able to do it alone. I did have another 20 that I sold before I moved to Eureka and at the time I purchased it.. didnt like how the alum ttrailer trailered besides the cables/wheels/pulleys were in shambles. So I built a steel one using galvanized sign post tube for crosspeices. I used 2 of the 3 sizes that nest within each other. 2 long crosspeices and 4 extensions. It worked good enough with patience..by myself.

Has original lion/supercat sticker on rear hull.
Hull # FMS SS00211179
2) A 1979 Formulae? What would have the sail # have been? 111?
Doubtful it was 111. We had a 1981 that had sail number 85, I am going to say the sail number on this one was something like 21...
No original mainsail.
On front hulls it has a long top cover or cap. Recall shorter ones on previous Supercats but my recall isn't what it used to be.
The original mold for the 20 had large openings in the deck between the beams and from right in front of the main beam all the way forward to the bridal tang. After the hulls were pulled from the mold the dagger board trunk and bridal tangs were installed and then the deck covers were installed. When Boston Whaler took over production new tooling was built that closed the decks, leaving only the small opening by the bow to install the bridal tang. So your memory is correct, most of the 20's built had a small cover by the bow.

Likely needs the new inner bulkhead replacement for bow tang. Give Tom a call about this and the other items you are looking for.
Also need alum mast base sleeve. Misc.
4) A Supercat 20 owners manual have pdf?
5) Another thing it has cheek blocks in corners of rear beam. I assume for further trimming traveler/main? Not sure what they were for, I don't recall that being standard hardware on any of the boats.
Last 20 and 19 didn't have but wondered if it exsisted and dynamics achieved with one.
6) My DS cable is shot ..original swages are very bulbous. In one of the threads Bill R addressed a DS cable and advised inspection on what from my knowledge is a swageless fitting.
In that Bill R addressed an inspection ... they're OK for use with ⅜ 316 wire?(Mac M : Dolphin striker wire tension) 2013
Talk to Tom about the dolphin striker cable / swage.

Regarding the Supercat 17 #82..it's pictured a several posts down and was for sale(CL) near Eugene August 2020. I was tempted to buy it back and believe it was still in my name. Info for someone who may have bought it..I saw it advertised 2011/2? on CL in Payette ID missing sails. I found a fellow in TN parting a 17 and sent $$ for sails/rigging. Thats the basic story behind it. Built a gin pole for stepping mast. Flipped it with friend and his wife while pointing at last place I flipped it and blew to shore. Also rescued 4 kids a mile off shore with no life preservers..in cold Waldo Lake..1000lbs + of crew. Back 3' was submerged. A parent thanked me later. Gas powered motors are not allowed on the lake so not much in the way rescue vessels.

Sorry to be so windy..haven't been on here in awhile.
Needless to say..the Supercats have always given me fond memories, adventures and stories. And sailing is far more interesting than owning a cell phone. Ha. Something to share even with strangers makes it worthwhile. Ive got 17+ folks, 3 generations, to take out this summer. Guess I'm back in the game.
Tom I will contact you for a few parts.
Thanks Paul G
Eureka CA
formerly
Salem OR
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
WaldoLakeCat
Novice

Post by WaldoLakeCat »

Thanks Matt,
I'll hit em up next week.
Need to go through few more partsn tramp and sails first
I was diligently looking for a SC19 for 7 mos but nearest was 1500 miles away..this one half that.
Plan to go through trailer. Its rock solid except where 2½" tube meets hitch.
Think its been in a dry climate for yrs SE California and Nevada prior.
Will rebuild cradles, create a mast extension for righting, longer tongue and go through roller/expansion system.
Looking forward to sailing Supercat number 4.
Paul G
WaldoLakeCat
Novice

Post by WaldoLakeCat »

I actually went through rest of the cat..unfurled sail completely ...#21.
There is no tang for traveler on rear beam which explains the different style traveler and 2 corner check blocks. Looks like more work than the previous ones I used but will be interesting.

Emailed Tom a parts list. Waiting for reply and info on roller furler and DS.
Paul G