New SC17 owner

General Sailing Discussion
genofleet119
Novice
Boat Make/Model: SC17

New SC17 owner

Post by genofleet119 »

Greetings SC community-I am a novice sailer and owner of a second hand SuperCat 17. I sail with Fleet 119 out of Angola , New York.I have 2 question areas.
a. I am in need of advice/assistance in rigging specifically the jib, jib tensioning and rigging of the roller furling assembly. With some help, I got the mast raised and the forestay attached but feel something I am missing a pigtail and/or more needs to be done to tension correctly. I note in the parts diagram for the 17- there are what appears to be 2 separate forestay assemblies. One for a roller furling and with just a shackle and chainplate. I have a roller furling system but dont have the same parts as that in the diagram. Am i correct that there are 2 versions shown?
b. I previously owned a Hobie 16 and still have the Harken main blocks that has nice snap shackles for both the upper and lower connections. Can I use the previous 16 blocks on the SC17?
Any tips/advice whether or not you have answers to my question will be taken to heart as a quick reading of the community posts prove this is an experienced crowd.
GeneA.
gahamby
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 15#315

Re: New SC17 owner

Post by gahamby »

My roller furler has a short pigtail that goes between the the swivel and the mast hound. I rig a 6:1 main sheet. No reason not to re-use the blocks if they give you the proper advantage.
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Hello Genofleet119,

You are correct that there were two different forestay assemblies for the SC17. The standard forestay consisted of a pigtail at the top, a turning block for the jib halyard, the forestay, a chainplate, the wire jib halyard and the rope segment of the jib halyard. The roller furling version of the forestay consisted of all the same part in addition to a roller furling swivel at the top and a roller furling drum at the bottom. Keep in mind that the wire lengths between the standard forestay assembly and the roller furling forestay assembly are different.

With regards to the mainsheet from your H16. It depends on the vintage of the H16 mainsheet and how the blocks were configured. It may or may not work on the SC17.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
genofleet119
Novice
Boat Make/Model: SC17

Post by genofleet119 »

many thanks! these replies have pointed me in the right direction.
Waiex191
Devloping
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 17

Post by Waiex191 »

Welcome! I'm also a new SC17 owner. I'll be working on the restoration after I finish some of my other projects.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL - C77
Supercat 17 (future) and a couple of foam monohulls