SuperCat 19 Resurrection

General Sailing Discussion
Waiex191
Devloping
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 17

Re: SuperCat 19 Resurrection

Post by Waiex191 »

Excellent - glad to see I'm not the only nut job on the forums here! I'm going through a similar exercise on a Hobie 16, though I've elected to bond foam core onto a rebuilt inner skin and then glass over.

I am looking forward to getting my SC17 going. I think one of the great things about the H16 is it makes you appreciate the design of the Supercat series that much more.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL - C77
Supercat 17 (future) and a couple of foam monohulls
Kevin Keller
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC-20, ARC22

Post by Kevin Keller »

I don’t know what the going prices are but I’d be pissed off at who sold it to me. That’s some shoddy ass work which cost you more than it’s worth in my eyes.

What you plan to do will work I imagine, but to do it the correct way you can use the other hull as a form (in the same location) to make a fiberglass inner skin. Epoxy it into the hole you cut. Get some of the foam from Tom and put it over the inner skin then fiberglass over the outside.

Keep us updated. I know I’m interested in watching your ideas and progress.
dustbucket
Novice
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 19

Post by dustbucket »

That's definitely a cheaper route, Ive been slightly worried about the added weight to the hull even if it is just foam. I really need to schedule a time to contact Tom and pick his brain for a bit. And yes my wife is not very happy with this purchase. It went from I only need to touch up a couple of spots and purchase some missing rigging to, well hell darling the trailer was worth $500 😬🤣. But with the summer fading we're slowing down a bit. I'll keep posting everytime we make progress on it.
dustbucket
Novice

Post by dustbucket »

20210805_111717.jpg
This was what I found. 1/4" plywood (non treated) and window trim used as backing to screw the fiberglass back into shape.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Waiex191
Devloping

Post by Waiex191 »

I documented a H16 hull repair over on the beachcats, and I think this repair would probably work just as well on the SC hull. As Kevin Keller said, I'd definitely make an inner skin using the other hull as a mold.
https://www.thebeachcats.com/forums/vie ... opic/18538

I may have some of this in my future, as a tree fell on my SC17 during a hurricane. This was two owners ago. There is a dent & crack on the port hull.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL - C77
Kevin Keller
Professional

Post by Kevin Keller »

Maybe you saw a post of my old SC20 I did some hull work on. You can see how I did my repairs and it might give you some ideas. The picture order ended being reversed in each posting.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=328
Waiex191
Devloping

Post by Waiex191 »

Kevin Keller wrote: August 9th, 2021, 10:59 am Maybe you saw a post of my old SC20 I did some hull work on. You can see how I did my repairs and it might give you some ideas. The picture order ended being reversed in each posting.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=328
I had not seen that - looks great though!
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL - C77
dustbucket
Novice

Post by dustbucket »

Wow, I'm so glad the bulkheads in the hull are solid. And since I'm sanding the gel coat down, reinforcing the seams with fiberglass tape seems to be a good option. Thank you guys so much for the info. I need to figure out how to register it Alabama without an ID plate.
Waiex191
Devloping

Post by Waiex191 »

Kevin,
Can you give any more details on how you made an AC compressor into a vacuum pump? Picture from your thread:
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL - C77
Kevin Keller
Professional

Post by Kevin Keller »

Nothing to it really. The important thing is the compressor which I got from a used window AC unit, $20. I used the glass jar to allow separation of any epoxy coming in the hose. I really didn’t need it because not much came into the hose. I also added a vacuum gauge and an on and off switch. I tried to find a check valve to hold the vacuum but couldn’t find one. Not sure if it would have worked anyway as there always seemed to be a slight leak which would eventually let air in over time. I’d also recommend a fan to cool the compressor as it heats up pretty good after a while. Spraying it with a mist of water helps cool it also.

All you really need though is the pump and hose. The rest are niceties.

I also used latex caulk to seal any leaks. I used a piece of tube stuck in my ear to listen for leaks. It all worked pretty well.