Power Righting

General Sailing Discussion
Eric2101
Professional
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 15

Power Righting

Post by Eric2101 »

Well, I tipped the ARC21 a few feet past the finish line in the very last race at Tradewinds. We were able to gight it without deploying the shroud extender since the wind was "kickin".

I remember hearing that Bill R. uses a method where he tightens the mainsheet and forces the traveller downward with his foot and as the boat comes up he can just roll onto the tramp?

Can anyone elaborate on this method?

Second, I found that there is not much to grab onto to pull yourself onto the boat while it is still in the capsized position, I am adding some trap handles to the bootom to help with that.
Eric Arbogast
Supercat 15
Eric2101
Professional
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 15

Power righting

Post by Eric2101 »

I am bringing this up again since I never got a response the first time.

Has the above procedure been used before on smaller cats? Bill?
Eric Arbogast
Supercat 15
Bill Roberts
Expert

Righting The Boat With The Mainsail

Post by Bill Roberts »

Hi Eric,
You only have part of the story. Step #1 is to turn the boat into the wind, bows pointing into the wind. This takes a drag chute depolyed off the bow. This will pull the bows into the wind. Now the mast is perpendicular to the wind. Step #2, at this pull the mainsheet in firm, leech relatively straight. and force the main traveller car down to the down hull by pulling it down at first by hand and then stepping on it. The mainsail will form a large pocket over the water and it will inflate, the mainsail will fill and bulge up toward the sky. Step #3, the mainsail is now generating enough lift to right the boat. As the boat rights itself, the person standing on the traveller car steps or rolls forward onto the trampoline. Now uncleat the mainsheet and put a few feet of slack into the system and recleat it. The drag chute is still holding the boat, both bows facing into the wind. Step #4, get the rest of the crew aboard and retreave the drag chute and sail away. This is how I right my SC20 and RC30. It is simple and easy and takes no brute force.
Someday catamarans will come from the factory with drag chutes for righting.
Bill
Claas van der Linde
Devloping

Righting Boat With Mainsail works only with Plenty of Wind

Post by Claas van der Linde »

Well, Bill's drag chute method is definetely to be recommended, however, remember, it only works if you have sufficient wind... :-)

We managed to flip the RC-27 yesterday at only 6.8kn boat speed in not much more than 8kn true wind. Jib, main, gennaker (total of 1250sq ft sail), 2 people to leeward to try and fly a hull and an inattentive helmsman (me) sliding down the tramp and unable to reach the gennaker sheet... You get the picture.

We probably would have won the prize for "who can flip the boat in the lightest winds", but we would have been unable to use the power righting method.

Well, at least we had some fun, are going to get some nice pictures, and did not break a single thing.

Cheers from Switzerland, Claas