Rudder Question

Technical discussion of ARC products
efinley
Professional

Rudder Question

Post by efinley »

The rudder pin hole in my rudders have become quite enlarged with years of use and neglect. I am planning to fill the holes with epoxy and redrill. Does someone have any dimensions on exactly where the hole should go?

Thanks,
Eric
SC20 #113
Tom Haberman
Expert

Post by Tom Haberman »

Eric,

We drill each rudder with a jig that is indexed off the cam cut outs. The hole location depends on size of rudder and how much of the foil is forward of the rudder pivot point. It does not take much to change rake quite a bit

If I remember correctly you have a SUPERCAT 20. If you fill and fair the holes and send rudders to me I'll drill them in about 30 seconds.

You should also be sure that the cam cut outs are in good shape too.
If they are chipped or broken that can affect the correct rudder rake too.

I'll try and devise a simple method for you if you still want to drill your own holes.
Sincerely,

Tom Haberman
efinley
Professional

Post by efinley »

Yes I do have a SuperCat 20 (#113). I will fill the holes and touch up the other knicks (like the cam cut outs) and then give you a call. Thanks for the help and great service.

-Eric
Bill Roberts
Expert

Rudder Pivot Hole Wear Out

Post by Bill Roberts »

Something that causes the rudder pivot hole to see large loads, loads much greater than design loads, is high friction drag in the rudder roller follower slot. The vertical slot in the rudder head where the springs are attached to the axel with rollers which follow the shape of the top of the rudder must be kept clean and lubricated. White lithium grease is good for this job. Depending on usage and environment, this slot might need to be wiped clean and lubricated every three or four months. If there is much friction in this slot and it takes much excess force to elongate the springs, then an equal and opposite force is applied to the rudder pivot pin/pivot hole. If this is allowed to continue for an extended time, the rudder pivot hole can become enlarged and then the rudder release mechanism may release prematurely or in the worse case it may not release at all and jerk the transom out of the hull. A little maintenance goes a long way.
Bill