More detail on ginpole mast raising technique please.

Technical discussion of ARC products
rghdc
Hot Shot

More detail on ginpole mast raising technique please.

Post by rghdc »

Is there any way you could add more detailed pictures to your “mast raising” demonstration on the web site. I am sure if I were to see it in person one time it would probably be a no brainier…but with the three shot coverage…it leaves some questions…like how does the jinnpole fasten to the mast/base? How about more detail about how the jinpole is supported side to side. How is the fore stay attached to the jinpole?

I have been unable to sail my SC17 very much for lack of a crew to help raise and lower the mast (that is, fasten the fore stay after I raise it). A little more explanation on the ginpole set up seems like it would free me up to go any time I wanted, instead on only when I can find a crew.

Yes, I could probably figure something out on my own…but why re-invent the wheel?

Any additional information (especially pictures) on this technique would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Bob
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Right now I don't have any other or more detailed pictures of the gin pole system, but I can try and answer some of your questions here.
  • 1)There is a cradle that cups the front of the mast and then a piece of line is used to secure the gin pole solidly to the mast.
    2) Side to side movement is accomplished by tieing two lines from the tip of the gin pole out to each end of the main beam.
    3) A short "pig tail" of line is used to secure the forestay to the end of the gin pole and then that is tied to your blocks that you used to pull the mast up.
    4) Once the mast is up we use the trapeeze wires of spinnaker halyard to tie the mast forward while the forestay is attached to the bridle wires
I know pictures would be better to explain much of this, but I hope it helps.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
rghdc
Hot Shot

Post by rghdc »

Thanks Matt
Your answer helps quite a bit... a couple additional questions....your wrote

"4) Once the mast is up we use the trapeeze wires of spinnaker halyard to tie the mast forward while the forestay is attached to the bridle wires"

(1) Is that suppose to read "use the trapeze wires [or] spinnaker halyard"?

Am I corect in assuming you ment "or" instead of "of"? If not, could you please explain this step further.

(2) Is there much side to side play when raising the mast this way?

(3) Are the side stays attached, with one of the shroud extenders opened just like when raising the mast by hand?

Thanks again for the quick response.

Regards,
Bob
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Bob,

1) Yes it should have read "or" :?

2) Yes you raise the mast with the sidestays attached. I would try raising it with the levers closed and then open a lever if you have problems making the forestay attachement. You can get some mast swing when raising the mast this way, one trick is to tie the trapeeze wires to the end of the front beam while leaving enough slack so you can get the mast up.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
rghdc
Hot Shot

Post by rghdc »

Thanks for the clarification Matt. I will definitely give this a shot.

Regards,
Bob
Tom Peterson
Devloping
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 17

Solo mast raising

Post by Tom Peterson »

I have raised Hobie 16 masts and my SC 17 mast many times alone with this technique. You are raising the mast past vertical so gravity (and the shrouds) will hold it while you hop down and fasten the forestay.

Release the shroud extenders
Position all rigging and trap lines so they do not catch on any rudder parts or corner castings (ha ha that's a Hobie thing)
Position the boat, usually on a shore, so the bows are lower than the sterns, if the boat is level this will NOT work properly
Check for wires and branches, and tell any bystanders to move away
Raise the mast, verify that gravity is doing its job
Jump down and fasten the forestay yourself
Tighten shroud extenders back up

Do not do this into a strong wind. Also works for lowering. As an aside, I also tell anyone helping or standing around NOT to try and catch the mast if I slip or drop it.
Hobie 14, Hobie 16, saw the light, and am now Supercat 17