Catamaran hoisting options

General Sailing Discussion
ultrarunner
Professional

Catamaran hoisting options

Post by ultrarunner »

Ok, so here is the deal...

I have this SC17. Planning on assembling it in the coming months. However my water front property currently poses a problem for launch and recovery.

I don't have a beach. I have a 120' long concrete sea wall. My yard is level with the top of the sea wall. From this level it's currently about 4 feet or so to the water line. As the lake levels rise the drop to the water line reduces to about 2 feet or so. But is typically around 3 feet.

My adjoing neighbours have also a sea wall or very rocky waterfront, neither appropriate for launch and recovery.

I found a multi-hull hoist online, but would like something:

1. less expensive and obstusive and

2. something to get the Cat up on shore for storage.

I'm not opposed to keeping it in a hoist, however I'm on the eastern shore, and the water at times can hit this sea wall fairly hard..rather not have a boat hoist near it with the Cat on it.

thanks for your ideas.

Any ideas?
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Ultrarunner,

Where are you located? On a lake?

Locally most everyone uses a rack or lift to store their boat in/on the water. Your water depth sound similar to ours, and at our yachtclub we have a similar situation with a rocky shoreline too.

Two of the biggest things we have found is that the rack MUST be securely anchored into the lake bed and the boat must be securely tied to the rack. We typicaly use between four and six sections of 2" heavy wall post with a screw auger on the end of it to secure the rack into the lake bed by running the auger into the bottom 18-24". To secure the boat to the rack we will use four of the 1" wide ratchet straps that you find at Sams Club, Home Depot, etc.

If the rack is a solid design, the boat is secure to the rack, and the rack to the lake bed, we have seen boats surrive straight line winds, waves breaking over the boats and other adverse conditions. Usually our biggest fear is not losing the boat from the rack, but other floating debris hitting the boat.

Hope this information helps,
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
ultrarunner
Professional

Post by ultrarunner »

Matt, thanks for your response. I am on an eastern shore of a north-south bay, which opens to Lake Ontario. Certainly a rack/hoist would be the simple solution. I was also thinking of a ramp-type system that I could make enabling me to bring the boat up onto the yard.

Would you happen to have a list of supplies for Cat hoists?

thanks,

Mark