SC 17 Part Deux

General Sailing Discussion
solvacc
Novice

SC 17 Part Deux

Post by solvacc »

I'm looking at a SC17 (which according to the owner used to be your boat, Bill) that has been upgraded to the ARC or very similar format. My question is about whether a person of my size should even consider this boat. I'm 6'2" with a large frame and a weight of 250+ (that I'm currently working on). My primary sailing area is on the local lakes in Alabama where there are no cat fleets anymore, but home to some excellent F-24 sailors. I'd also be making trips down to Navarre and Pensacola, FL for some local races. So, all in all, some pretty light wind. I mean 10-15 is a blessing in these parts, but that's a different story. Anyway, say given the option of picking up a 5 year old Miracle 20, a 12 year old spin less Nacra 6.0NA, or this SC 17, which do you think would fit me better? I'd almost always have a crew (hopefully light). Thx for the help.

Charlie Solvason
rghdc
Hot Shot

SC 17

Post by rghdc »

Hi Charlie

Since Bill is down at Keys racing I though I might give you a little something to chew on till he has a chance to respond....

I have a SC 17 and love it. I sail mine with my wife...combined weight maybe 320#-330# (she won't tell me how much she weighs...LOL) or my son with a combined weight of 370#...of course you can feel the 50# difference but it is still fun free sailing either way....At 250+# you might want to look at the SC 17 as a ideal single handed boat for your size...or if you can get a light crew (120 lbs or less) you will be right at what my son and I weigh, not ideal but it works. I believe the old minimum racing weight for two up SC17 was 280 Lbs.

If you are looking for good performance with minimum hassle (no dagger boards) the SC 17 might be the boat for you. Also keep in mind when it comes to crew...that people are always saying they want to go sailing with you, but when the time comes to actually go, they often have an excuse...this boat would probably be a rocket ship (as far as true beach cats go) for you single handed, and allow you to take someone else out with you for a cruise when they did show up.

If, as you said, you will aways have a crew, you might want to look for a larger SC or ARC model...they are around...in fact I think Aquarious has a 19 listed on this site right now. A 20' SC just went on e-bay a week or so ago. The SC/ARC boats truly are a superior product, you would not regret purchasing one.

Don't know if this helps any but Bill/Tom/Matt will be able to give you more accurate info as to the design perimeters.

Regards,
Bob
solvacc
Novice

SC 17 Part Deux

Post by solvacc »

Bob,

Thanks for the reply. A little background on me, I used to own a P18.2 and P16 when I was back in college. I enjoyed both of them for different reasons (P18.2 for the controls, P16 for the fun factor). When I got out of school I moved to WI and was freaked out that Lakes could actually freeze solid. Thinking my sailing season would be longer (turns out only by a month), I sold my P18.2 and raced several types of mono-hulls, my favorite being a Merit 25 (think stretched out planing version of a J-24). Learned alot about sailing these boats with all the digital readouts, etc and continued to race them even when I moved to Southern California.

Anyway, now that I'm back on the Gulf Coast, I'd like to find a good all around boat with the thrill factor of a spin. If there is one thing I learned sailing PHRF is that you should get a boat that is easiest on you because the corrected time will usually account for all the lastest bells and whistles. Which is why I ended up looking at this updated SC17. Now, you don't want to sail at the back of the pack, but as long as you are in it, that's where the real fun of racing begins. In all honesty, if I could find a boardless 19 (I think that's right one, or maybe it was the 20) with a spin, self-tacking jib, and squaretop main, that'd be my preference.

Charlie
solvacc
Novice

SC's on Brokerage Pg

Post by solvacc »

Thanks for the note about the brokerage boats. I have already emailed concerning all 3 boats and am waiting to hear back. Not really sure if they're located in MN or what, but if they are, it might be cost prohibitive to have them shipped.

Now, since I'm looking at this upgraded SC, what stress points should I be concerned about given that it is has the new 8'6" beams, spinnaker, square top main, and self-tacking jib? Were the new ARC 17's reinforced at the bridle attachment to the bows for the bridles? How about the crossbars and side stays? Thx.

Charlie
rghdc
Hot Shot

Post by rghdc »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>>> Not really sure if they're located in MN or what, but if they are, it might be cost prohibitive to have them shipped.

Yes it would be nice to know where the boats are physically located, maybe they can add that to future listings...but then again... someone from the factory may be traveling in your direction for another purpose and could drop it off to you for a resonable fee.

I know years back I was looking for a new mast for another SC 17 I use to own, Tom was coming to Florida for a race and offered to bring one down with him for a fair fee to help keep transport costs under control. So don't write anything off until you get the whole story.

Regards,
Bob
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Charlie,

I think you have been in contact with Tom via email so I will let him answer your questions about the brokerage boats.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
solvacc
Novice

Single Handling the SC/ARC 17?

Post by solvacc »

Bob et al.,

How easy is it to single hand the SC17? I singled my 18-2 alot, so in a traditional sense I would say relatively easy. With a self-tacking jib, I imagine its even easier, but has anyone single-handed a spin? I've seen pics of I-17's doin' it, but wow, that seems tough :shock: . Just thought I'd ask if there are any techniques to it? Thx.

Charlie
rghdc
Hot Shot

Post by rghdc »

Charlie
Don't have the spin set up on my SC17...would love to have one...but I don't have one at this time. As far a single handed goes...I love it...it seems to sit the single/double line perfectly...not too big for single , not too small for double…I sailed my old SC 17 a lot more single than double...but actually.... when my children were smaller, I had the wife, daughter and son together with me a few times and it was still plenty fast with all of them on it.

I live in Florida and the Sea breezes in the summer are on the light side, probably 8-10 mph…in these conditions the boat performs extremely well single handed, Yet is still very controllable when the wind picks up.

Regards,
Bob