New SC-17 owner. Question

General Sailing Discussion
jbshu24
Hot Shot

New SC-17 owner. Question

Post by jbshu24 »

Got rid of my Hobie 16 and went for an SC-17 (sail #184) that sounds a lot better than Hobies in so many ways! I'll probably go out for my first sail this week on Cayuga Lake, but had one question regarding the jib sheet setup. Not quite sure how or where it attaches. Picture is attached.

In the middle of the yellow line, there is a clip/ring that has a split in the ring. What is this for?
I'm assuming the other pulley attaches to the jib clew, but the way it came on the jib sheet, it's set up like it would attach to the trampoline. I hear it may attach to the front of the mast step?

Any ideas? Can't wait to get out on the water.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jbshu24 on July 26th, 2006, 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Hello,

I am not sure what the extra block in the middle is from, doesn't appear to be standard.
The Sister Clip that is tied in the middle of the yellow line mates with another sister clip on the clew of the jib. The two Hexaratchets with Cleats get tied with a short (18") piece of line to the hulls.
Sorry I don't have any pictures at this time.
-Matt
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
DrPepper
Novice
Boat Make/Model: SC17

Post by DrPepper »

This picture kind of shows the jib sheet on my SC17. I don't have the extra block shown in your picture or any 18" lines to the hull that Matt mentioned. I just got the boat my self so I'm no expert. The picture is how the previous owner rigged it for me when I picked the boat up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Knapp
Novice

Post by Steve Knapp »

On my SC-17 the sister clip is attached to both jib blocks using two small shackels. The yellow rope is missing. Do I need to purchase a rope to separte the jib blocks? If so, how long should the rope be?
Steve Knapp
SC-17
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Steve Knapp wrote:On my SC-17 the sister clip is attached to both jib blocks using two small shackels. The yellow rope is missing. Do I need to purchase a rope to separte the jib blocks? If so, how long should the rope be?
Steve,

It will probably work better with the piece of Rope. I don't have the dimensions here at home, but if you start with 24" long piece, by the time you tie the knots it should be about the right length. I would use a piece of good quality 3/16" diameter line.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

DrPepper wrote:This picture kind of shows the jib sheet on my SC17. I don't have the extra block shown in your picture or any 18" lines to the hull that Matt mentioned. I just got the boat my self so I'm no expert. The picture is how the previous owner rigged it for me when I picked the boat up.
I have seen boats rigged with and without the line between the hull and the ratchet block. From the factory we supplied the line to move the block up off the tramp and to make it easer for cleating/uncleating the line.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

DrPepper wrote:This picture kind of shows the jib sheet on my SC17. I don't have the extra block shown in your picture or any 18" lines to the hull that Matt mentioned. I just got the boat my self so I'm no expert. The picture is how the previous owner rigged it for me when I picked the boat up.
I have seen boats rigged with and without the line between the hull and the ratchet block. From the factory we supplied the line to move the block up off the tramp and to make it easer for cleating/uncleating the line.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
jbshu24
Hot Shot

Post by jbshu24 »

Thanks all for the comments and pictures. Very helpful. Still don't know what the shackle/block in the middle of the jibsheet is, but it may have been attached to the rear crossbar.

I've got the mast up, rigging set, now I just need a windy day to sail.