Snap-back righting line

Technical discussion of ARC products
Tom Peterson
Devloping
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 17

Snap-back righting line

Post by Tom Peterson »

I came to Supercats from Hobies. Many of those sailing days were a perfect storm of a boat that pitchpoled easily, a rookie skipper, too much wind, and usually, beer. I tipped a lot and became a fan of the bungee-powered snap back righting systems that you often see on Hobies. We could tip the boat over, spin her around, grab the righting line, lean back and boom - we were back up and smoking along in no time.

I wanted to put a similar system on my SC-17, but with no pylons to work around like on the Hobie, it wasn't going to be as easy.

The photo shows what I came up with. The righting line makes an S shape inside the front crossbar. Each bulge of the S is tensioned by a loop of bungee and a small block. When you pull on the end of the righting line, the S extends into a straight line and you have your full-length righting line. Right the boat, let go, and it all retracts back into the crossbar. I used to just have a knot on the end of the line, but in my old age I have added the hand loop you see. The stress or weight is managed by the stainless steel fender washer you see - although if you pull on the end you are looking at, it is actually the other end of the crossbar and end cap that carries the weight.

I did not measure the bungee cord or line so I can't help you with that part. I just worked on trial and error. If you use more than enough of each, you can easily shorten them without disassembling the system. The length of righting line will depend on your height and arm length. You don't need to have a lot of tension on the bungee - just enough to retract the righting line. If the bungee is too tight (too short), it will overstretch when extended. As the bungee ages and loses its stretch, which will be minimal since it is enclosed, you can just take a couple inches off and knot it up again. Even if the bungee totally fails, all you lose is the automatic snap back; you will still have your righting line.

The last time I posted what I thought was a cool idea (Triple trapezing, pyramid style), I was soundly spanked by Bill Roberts. After that experience, it took me two years to get up the nerve to post this item. It has worked well for me in all kinds of conditions, but of course, I make no claims that it is safe, technically sound, or will work for you, or will even work for anyone but me. I also don't know what is inside the beams on the larger boats so you guys will have to shine a light in there and take a look.

Thanks to all of your for your knowledge, ideas, and chatter - we are lucky to have each other, this forum, and of course - Bill, Tom, and Matt. Happy Holidays.

PS If I survive this posting, I'll post a photo of the boat lift that ended up taking an entire weekend to adapt to my SC-17.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hobie 14, Hobie 16, saw the light, and am now Supercat 17
Eric2101
Professional
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 15

Bro, I can't beleive that we di the same thing!

Post by Eric2101 »

I did the same thing except with a few mods..

I put a trap handle and a S hook on the end. The trap handle for righting and the S hook to slip into the skippers harness when reaching or lower
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eric Arbogast
Supercat 15
Tom Peterson
Devloping
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 17

Snap back righting line

Post by Tom Peterson »

In looking at your picture more closely - it appears you have installed your righting line into your rear crossbar. How do you right the boat from that far back?
Hobie 14, Hobie 16, saw the light, and am now Supercat 17
Eric2101
Professional
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 15

righting

Post by Eric2101 »

we use both th regular righting system and the line from the rear beam.