Flipping

General Sailing Discussion
Kevin Keller
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC-20, ARC22

Flipping

Post by Kevin Keller »

Looking for some opinions.

I have only flipped my SC-20 twice. When it seems that when I am on the verge of going over I simultaneously dump the traveler or mainsheet and turn into the wind. If I am too close I end up going over.

It seems with the turn into the wind it accelerates the boat going over, due to centripical (centrifugal?) force. I am wondering if a sharp turn downwind would help keep the boat from going over. I know by doing this downwind turn it exposes the tramp to more air but maybe the centripical force will over come this.

What do you guys think?
george
Devloping

Post by george »

I haven't yet flipped my supercat 20, but I have flipped my hobie 16 many times. So this is a more general opinion about catamarans, rather than specific to the supercats.

When you have the windward hull way up and pull the tiller towards you (to head up) at that point the rudder is turning the boat in a different way, actually will lift the bow of the leeward hull up out of the water which I think lifts the windward hull higher, rather than dropping it. I think this causes a rounding up kind of thing. I have done this in order to fly a hull before when the hobie wasn't sure that it wanted to come up, or just to mess with my brother when he is on the boat.

A sharp downwind turn would tend to stuff the leeward bow (maybe pitch pole). So, probably the best bet is to dump the main sheet and traveler as quickly as possible, and some gentle tiller work (and nerves) to hold the course until the boat comes down. If you are past the point of no return, there is little you can do, once the mast is pulling you over (and lift from sails), I think you are then SOL. Of course this is all based on having virtually no boat time on the supercat yet.

With the hobie I got very comfortable with getting a hull way up, and could feel when it was getting too close to going over, and almost balance the boat on a stall with one hull way up. Probably just some more time on the hairy edge will let you get a better "feel" for how the boat will respond under those conditions.

hope that was helpful, probably some other more experienced supercat sailors could give some better advice.

george
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Kevin,

I think the first question that needs to be asked is what heading are you on. Upwind, Downwind, Reach?
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
Kevin Keller
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC-20, ARC22

Post by Kevin Keller »

Well it seems like almost every where I sail the apparent wind is a close reach.

Initially I had never sailed a boat so fast and couldn't figure out why the wind was shifting so much. I never thought the apparent wind would change that much. I was ignorant and then someone educated me.

I guess from your question it makes a difference on what point you are sailing? I was probably on a beam reach from the true wind.

Kevin
jbshu24
Hot Shot

Post by jbshu24 »

Isn't a beam reach the death line?
Meaning if the boat starts to go over, turning either up or down wind will cause the boat to go over more. At that angle, the only thing to do is let out the sails quickly.
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Kevin,

A couple of comments.

Heading up wind, close hauled. Start by gently trying to head the boat up as you start to fly a hull, if heading up doesn't work you can drop the traveler to keep the boat trimmed. If you really need depower quick then dump the mainsheet as you head up.

Heading down wind, as the boat accellerates you should head down and sheet in to bleed off power.

Beam reach, I would try not to put yourself in that situation, but if you do then dumping the mainsheet and heading up is going to be your best way out.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com