Found another SC 17

Technical discussion of ARC products
whalerman
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC 17, SC 15

Found another SC 17

Post by whalerman »

I have found yet another Super Cat 17 for sale. The hull number is 17P.656. The boat is all there and appears to be in good shape. Can you tell me how old it is based on the hull number? What problem areas should I look for on the boat. It has been used in both fresh and salt water, but has not been used for the last few years.

Thanks

Wahlerman
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Hello,

The number you have doesn't really tell me what year the boat was built, but I would guess mid 1980's. To be sure you will be the the serial number that is engraved (not molded) into the hull, usually on the transom.

No particular problems that you need to be looking for, but here are something things to look at.
-Condition of bottom of hull
-Condition of rigging & fittings, corrosion, etc.
-Condition of Sails & Trampoline
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
whalerman
Professional

Post by whalerman »

Thanks Matt,

These boats do not come up for sail very often, but I have had many people tell me that they are great boats for Lake Erie. I am looking forward to moving up to something more sophisticated than my Sol Cat 15. Not that it is a terrible boat, but it is a bit small for the waves on Lake Erie.
jjd78
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC17, 1-SC15, 3-SC17 and SC19

Post by jjd78 »

whalerman
what happened to the previous SC17 you were looking at? is it located near you? was it at a good deal considering the mast and all?
whalerman
Professional

Previous SC17

Post by whalerman »

The previous one became a bigger horror story every time I talked to the guy. Bent mast, hole in hull- but only from rubbing against the trailer, The tramp needs work, etc.
whalerman
Professional

Bought the SC 17

Post by whalerman »

:)

I recently bought a 17 and it appears that most of the parts are there. There are some problems though.

I need a parts list and a boat diagram. Do you have these available?

The metal plate in the transoms that the pintles screw into are missing at the bottom of the hulls. Do you sell replacements for there parts? If not, I assume that a stainless plate, 1/4 of an inch thick and appropriately tapped would be a sufficient replacement. Is this correct?

This appears to be an older model as the traveler rides on a steel cable.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Whalerman
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Whalerman,

All of the parts for your SC-17 are available. The only thing that might be a problem is the cable traveler car :( . Your best bet is to call or email our sales office at 651-462-SAIL or sales@aquarius-sail.com .

Are you talking about the backup metal inside the hull where the gudgeon attaches? If so, that was a 1/4" thick Aluminum plate that was 2" tall x the width of the gudgeon (or slightly wider).
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
jjd78
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC17, 1-SC15, 3-SC17 and SC19

Post by jjd78 »

if you need the traveler car that rides on the cable i have an extra one...... just let me know....