Bulging Dagger Boards

Technical discussion of ARC products
Kevin Keller
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC-20, ARC22

Bulging Dagger Boards

Post by Kevin Keller »

I have 4 dagger boards for my older SC-20. Each one of them has bulged out in certain areas along its length. They have done so to the point that they will not even fit all the way down a cleaned up dagger well (without carpet).

If I take a straight edge to the boards you can see a definite bulge on both sides. I have ground the bulges down and to make it straight I go through the out layers of fiberglass almost to the core, if that makes sense.

Each end and parts of the boards fit fine except for the bulges.

I don't believe any water has gotten inside the boards.

Is this a common phenomena?
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Kevin,

I am guessing your daggerboards are pretty old. This was not that uncommon in the old boards and rudders. The process that was used at that time did not allow all of the gas to escape when pouring the foam core. What would happen is there would be trapped gas bubbles in the board and when the board or rudder was exposed to elevated temperatures (read sitting on the beach, trunk of car, etc) the bubble would expand and bulge like you see in your boards.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
Kevin Keller
Professional

Post by Kevin Keller »

Thanks for the info.

I am going to try to repair them if it is not too much of a pain. Can you email me to let me know the ballpark price of new ones?

Kevin
Kevin Keller
Professional

Post by Kevin Keller »

Are mine still under warranty?

:lol: