How much do you sail?

General Sailing Discussion
efinley
Professional

How much do you sail?

Post by efinley »

This question is directed at everyone but I am really curious to hear the answers from Matt, Tom and Bill. I'm curious if you have time to sail or are too busy running a business to get out and enjoy what got you into the business in the first place! (I've seen this happen to friends of mine)

So how often do you get out and sail?

I am the commodore of my local Hobie fleet and for the 3 day weekends I always take my SC20. :) For the day sails I often take my Hobie just for simplicity and time savings. I would guess I sail 2-4 days a months plus 3 days each at Memorial Day, Labor Day and 4th of July and 1 week at the Hobie Midwinters West in San Felipe (again I take my SC). I wish I had more water time but I have too many family and work commitments.

Also I live near Sacramento, anyone else live anywhere nearby?

-Eric
SC20 #113
H16
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Eric,

We race two days a week, 2 races on Saturday & one on Monday evening. We also teach some sailing classes at the club here and that puts us on the water another two nights a week for the months of June & July. Keep in mind our sailing season runs from Mid May until late September, outside of that the water is either really cold or really hard.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
george
Devloping

Post by george »

I race thursday nights with a small boat group, try to make it every thursday, but usually miss one a month or so. Then I usually try to make it out at least one day other than that a week, if the weather and wind looks good. I keep the boat on a beach with the mast up, so to get her out, simply have to raise sails, drop in the centerboards, and put the tiller on. This is the first season with the boat, so set up and break down is still a little slow, but pretty easy to get a sail in after work.

The real answer to "how often do you sail" is "never enough"!

george
1980 SC 20 #55 "SuperFly"
Eric2101
Professional
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 15

sailing

Post by Eric2101 »

Some years better thanothers. 4 kids$ so regular sailing is out f the question. I like to get the MKL, Mug, and Tradewinds at a mimimum. This year I have the boat inbits for painting, which has turned into long term project. The rain/humidity is prohibiting me from painting..... Dammmit Jim!
efinley
Professional

Post by efinley »

I am always jealous of the great regattas you guys have. Things like TradeWinds and the Mug. We have a limited version of that kind of racing in So Cal but that is 8 hours away and the accommodations are always tricky/expensive...

Maybe it is just a grass is always greener on the other side sort of thing...
Kevin Keller
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC-20, ARC22

Post by Kevin Keller »

Now that I have my boat back in the water and when I am home, I sail about 4 -5 days a week.

I might take a sail over to Molokai here in the next week or 2. It's about 35 miles away and there are some nice beaches to go camping on.
whalerman
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC 17, SC 15

As much as I can

Post by whalerman »

This has not been a particularly great year on Lake Erie for sailing, either too much rain or too much wind, and I am a newbie so I'm probably a bit more conservative than I need to be.

If I can pull it off e days a week in July and August that is really nice. Next year I hope to start early June.

What do people wear when sailing when the water temperature is in the 60's or lower?

Whalerman
pworthington
Novice

Post by pworthington »

I sail from mid April to late November on the lakes and ocean. I wet suit it during early and late season. Full suit, gloves, feet and head. I am usually hot if the sun is out. I take less risks when its cold though. I am getting pretty good at trailer sailing. I may make up a mast raising rig for next season since soloing the 28 ft mast is a lot.
What did I get myself into now?