SC 17 Mast Ball and Traveler.

Technical discussion of ARC products
Tinkersailor
Novice

SC 17 Mast Ball and Traveler.

Post by Tinkersailor »

Hi All.

Bought an old SC17 this spring and been havin a ball on it. Today I lubed my ball and restepped the mast after replacing the halyard sheave. The mast base seems to be grooved pritey badly from the roll pin which hold the ball on. Is this a common problem? The roll pin is a little loose. How big (diamiter) should the ball be?

The travelor is the cable type. Hell of a time keeping it to leward for sailing off the wind! Any ideas on this? A new boats fitted with a track? If so what kind and does it work better?

Tink
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Hello,

I wouldn't call the roll pin/grooves in mast base a common problem, but I have seen it before. The roll pin is 3/16" in diameter, but I know that some people have replaced them with 1/4" if the 3/16 is loose. Make sure to clean up the mast base so it isn't rough or it will tear up the ball.

Not sure about the cable traveler, it has been quite a while since I sailed on a boat with the cable traveler. But I can say that it usually isn't necessary to travel out too far, maybe the hiking strap? The newer boats use a Harken Traveler, and we do have a conversion kit that replaces the cable traveler with the harken type.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
Tinkersailor
Novice

Post by Tinkersailor »

Thanks for the quick response.

Is the ball made of Delrin? or something else?

Can I get a price on a new ball and the traveler upgrade?

I have also been loking at the self tacker and spin setup. Is there any Info on the actual dimensons of the sprit ect on the site?

Tink
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Could you call our office at 651-462-SAIL, then we can make sure that we quote you the correct parts for the traveler upgrade.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com