Supercat 15 Refurb

General Sailing Discussion
DanBerger
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC 15 w/ spin!, SC 19

Supercat 15 Refurb

Post by DanBerger »

Finally finished the project. Can't wait to get the self tacker and Hooter rigged!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Keller
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC-20, ARC22

Re: Supercat 15 Refurb

Post by Kevin Keller »

Looks good. What did you do to it?
ultrarunner
Professional

Post by ultrarunner »

That is a nice looking 15 Dan. Do you have the refurb process pictures?
DanBerger
Professional

Post by DanBerger »

Thanks!

The hulls were in pretty good shape, except for a few dings, scratches. There were some stress dimples on the sides of the hulls under the front beam, but the hulls were solid, so I filled them to make them smooth. I sanded the hulls and had a friend spray two coats of gel on, then I sanded smooth. When I got the boat, all I got was a set of hulls, mast and the beams. The mast step base was even broken. I had to collect everything else.

The main sail came from Aquarius' old stock inventory, the jib came from Craigslist in Ohio. That was a weird deal because the person with the 15 jib was also selling sails for a Hobie 14, which I also have. The tramp came from SloSails--really nice. The steering came from Colorado. I made my own rigging.

My plan is to go with the self tacking jib, so I added a track to the front beam for the trampoline. It already had the track in the rear with a Harken traveler.

It was the typical $300 boat that turned out to be expensive. On top of all the parts listed above, I spent $1000 to have it shipped from Texas. It was originally $500, but the trailer blew up in Louisiana and had to be dissasembled to be put on top of the transport truck, then the boat was put on top of that. This was all after the trailer fell apart in Texas and had to be welded together at a truck stop. That added up pretty quickly.

When I get the self tacking kit from Aquarius, I'll start working on a Hooter set up!
Kevin Keller
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC-20, ARC22

Post by Kevin Keller »

How's the progress?
DanBerger
Professional

Post by DanBerger »

I have finished the boat and installed the self-tacker and I have done a few races. It is pretty fast around the cans and I'm about dead-even with Hobie 16s. I'd say the A-fleeters would beat me, but the B-fleeters and single handers are even. Down wind, I'm just as fast, but I can actually out point them upwind and I'm faster. It doesn't feel as fast as the 16s because it is like driving an SUV VS a jeep. The 16 are getting their butts kicked and I get a nice steady, smooth ride. I found it doesn't like to fly a hull as quickly as the 16s, so I am in much better control.

I'll get some pics of the self tacker soon. I had a BIG problem with it at first because I couldn't see through it--or the main. I had to get windows installed and I kind of over did it on the jib. I should have only had the two bottom panels cut, but I got the third one cut, too. It looks a little weird, but I can see anything!

This is a pic of the 15 next to a 19. It is before I got the window in the main and before I added a third window to the jib's bottom panel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DanBerger
Professional

Post by DanBerger »

Here's one on the course. I must have just jibed because I would never be wing-and-wing!!!

I think this is making the layline to the C mark.
SC15Av8or
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC15 / SC19

Post by SC15Av8or »

Dan....

She looks great !!! What happened to the jib sail though?? The first picture it is the matching blue jib. In the following pictures it is a white jib. Do you still have the blue jib ?? Do you know where I might be able to find a jib sail?? I just found and purchased a SC15 as well. Mine was short a few things as well. I need all the standing rigging and some of the running rigging. I would like to put a furling jib up on mine as well. Do you still have this boat ?? Where did you find the lenghts and cable sizes to make your rigging ?? I will try and get pictures of mine posted soon.

Robert
Lifes 2 short for cheap GROG
SuperCat 15/19Av8or
DanBerger
Professional

Post by DanBerger »

I still have the blue jib, I just switched to the self-tacking system and got a white jib. I IMd you my number--call me with questions.

I have the forestay and bridles for the jib system, but I don't have the sidestays with the righting system. I called Aquarius and they were nice enough to give me the lengths of the wires, so I built my own. I did, however, buy the self tacking rigging from them and I'm glad I did. If you can't make it yourself, get it from them.

There are people on eBay selling new rigging, but they are Snotty Dawg A$$holes. Just my 2 cents.
SC15Av8or
Professional

Post by SC15Av8or »

Dan...

Hey sounds good. I can make the riggigng but do not have the specs for any of it. If you still have those and would not mind passing those along, that would be great and I can get to work on those this winter and be able to rig up in March. I will be doing the side stay release system as well. Still looking for one of the levers though. I have read here aboubt a guy who did that and his shroud/sidestay has failed twice on him.

I agree with your opinion on the ebay folks. I have had dealings with some and my H14T. Are you going to be using the blue jib and forstay ?? What would you be asking for it ???

I am working to find the main sheet blocks. I have the bridal wires, jib sail clue blocks, jib sheet blocks. This SC15 needs a track and traveler car for the rear rail. It has an amazingly crisp main sail and the tramp is in great shape !!! If I do the furling jib I am looking for the furler drum as well. I think I have your number off a previous post you did here. I'll look for the IM as well.

Thanks
Robert
SuperCat 15/19Av8or
DanBerger
Professional

Post by DanBerger »

If you add a traveler, you need to have a tramp that is not the wrap-around style on the rear beam--just a mental note. Mine came with a track, but no car, so I had to find one. I bought a new tramp from SloSails that is a 3 piece like a Hobie. I installed a track on the front beam because I was going with a self-tacker.

Jason (JJD78) installed a traveler track on his 19. I thought it would be tough, but he did it by himself with (I think) a PVC tube with a box wrench taked in one end.

All rigging will break at some time. Aquarius makes some quality stuff, so it wouldn't hurt to go with them. You probably should replace it every few years, anyway.

when are you going to post pics??
SC15Av8or
Professional

Post by SC15Av8or »

Dan....

Tried to post pics but the fomat was too big for this site. As soon as I can I will post though !!!

SC15Av8or
SuperCat 15/19Av8or
whalerman
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC 17, SC 15

Post by whalerman »

Hi Dan,

Can you describe the self tacking jib setup a little bit better? I need a new tramp on my 17 and I am thinking of going with a 4 boltrope tramp to accommodate the self tacking system, but I don't know where to start.

Thanks
DanBerger
Professional

Post by DanBerger »

I don't have pics right now, but I'll get them soon.

I bought the tramp tracks from Aquarius first before I went with the self-tacker. I got the tramp from Slo Sails and I'm pretty happy with it.

I wanted to go with a self tacking system like an Inter 20, but wanted to use a straight track like I had on my SC20 (Bill Robert's old boat). I bought the 'kit' from Aquarius which included the compression pole, new bridles, forestay and halyard. It also came with support wires with hayfield levers to secure the rig back to the beam--and a pole socket to attach to the beam. I added swivel cam cleats to the front beam to control the sheet. I need to replace the small control lines and blocks becasue they are too heavy and weigh the sheet down in very light wind.

I had to add windows because it is so low, you can't see a thing in front of you!

Over all, I like the kit.
whalerman
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC 17, SC 15

Post by whalerman »

Thanks for the quick reply. I look forward to seeing the pics.

Why did you go to a 15 from a SC20? I'm just curious. I have a 17 and a 15 at the moment. The 17 is great for taking up to 4 people out or racing with 2. The 15 needs a new tramp and mainsail, but I am tempted to keep it as I think it may be easier to solo in a couple of years when my son abandons sailing with dad for chasing women. :)