pinholes

General Sailing Discussion
NyleandKellie
Novice
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 17

pinholes

Post by NyleandKellie »

I have some pinholes causing a slow leak, what works best for for fixing them?
-Nyle
Kevin Keller
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC-20, ARC22

Re: pinholes

Post by Kevin Keller »

Do you have pictures? How did they get there? Depending on what caused them you would handle it differently.
Eric2101
Professional
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 15

pin holes

Post by Eric2101 »

Did you sand through the original primer? I did.... you need to apply a compatible glazing putty and then reprime and paint.
Eric Arbogast
Supercat 15
NyleandKellie
Novice

Post by NyleandKellie »

I do not know how they got there, I just got it from a neighbor and he said it leaked but very slow, I only found the pinholes so far, I can get some pictures soon
-Nyle
jbshu24
Hot Shot

Post by jbshu24 »

Hard to imagine tiny little pinholes would allow water to get in. I found a few cups of water would get in my hulls after an hour or so. Couldn't figure out what it was until the transom cracked. I think the transom was deforming slightly and combined with old silicone around the drain plug bases, water was getting in past the drain plug bases. You might want to remove those and resilicone. After repairing the transom and siliconing, the hulls are completely airtight. So much so that it actually hissed when I removed the plug. You'll notice a tiny little airhole at the top of the transom. I had glued/painted over mine so redrilled it to keep pressure from building up in the hulls.
NyleandKellie
Novice

Post by NyleandKellie »

What is the best way to find where the slow leak is coming from,
jbshu24
Hot Shot

Post by jbshu24 »

I've heard applying some small positive pressure to the drain plug, careful, too much could blow the hull. Maybe the exhaust from a vacuum cleaner. Then coat with soapy water and look for bubbles.