Can you sail dead downwind faster than the wind?

General Sailing Discussion
Tom Peterson
Devloping
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 17

Can you sail dead downwind faster than the wind?

Post by Tom Peterson »

Hi folks - A friend who has been on my catamaran sent me this link. We all know how fast cats are; and most of us know some of the science behind why our boats are so fast. Here is a GREAT story about a guy who built a land vehicle, with wheels, in an attempt to "sail" dead downwind faster than the wind itself. Highly recommended.

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/02/ff_fasterthanwind
Hobie 14, Hobie 16, saw the light, and am now Supercat 17
SC15Av8or
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC15 / SC19

Re: Can you sail dead downwind faster than the wind?

Post by SC15Av8or »

Well on my second sail of this season I did this. It was blowing 15mph and the GPS was showing 18mph. If any of those guys had just a few lessons in flight they would not have even brought up an airplane. If you want more proof go to UTube and search AC45 they are sailing 2x the speed of the steady state wind. The SC is capable 1.5x I hear. I will keep you posted on my attemps at that.
Lifes 2 short for cheap GROG
SuperCat 15/19Av8or
Eric2101
Professional
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 15

Post by Eric2101 »

I don't have any GPS data, but, I know that when sailing downwind with a spin and in the groove, it feels like you are doing 20 and there is no wind. Vacuumish. At that point you are doing at least the speed of the wind.
Eric Arbogast
Supercat 15
VI Mike
Novice
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 22

Post by VI Mike »

I think the operative term that makes this so cool is the "dead downwind" part. We cat speed freaks know how to reach, that is for sure. I saw this too and thought it was just too cool! More innovation the better!