Great sail, but bad sail shape :(

Technical discussion of ARC products
Cleric
Novice
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 19

Great sail, but bad sail shape :(

Post by Cleric »

I got to take out my 19XL this weekend and it was a blast. Winds were 12-18knts and we had a blast trapping out and flying a hull almost the whole time out. I was really amazed at how well the boat sailed when we were pushing it so hard. I had times where we would run for a 100 yards with the leeward bow ducking in and out of the water and we just kept pressing on, not slowing or diving in like some many other boats.

I did notice that my sail was shaped horribly though and I know that I need to change out at least the bottom batten for something more stiff. Maybe the piece of tubular aluminum that I have seen mentioned in other posts. What length, O.D. and wall thickness should I get to install in the bottom pocket? Also what is the recommended way to finish the ends of the tubing so as to fit in to the batten pocket without cutting into the sail?

Thanks for any and all help!

Peter
Eric2101
Professional
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 15

Re: Great sail, but bad sail shape :(

Post by Eric2101 »

My recommendation is to trade or buy an ARC21. This boat will never pitch even if you try.... I have buried the lee hull to the beam in 20 plus and still come out the winner. Conversly, in light air it is a hired killer. 8 to 12 knots and you will smoke the fleet.
Eric Arbogast
Supercat 15
whalerman
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC 17, SC 15

Re: Great sail, but bad sail shape :(

Post by whalerman »

I would think that the aluminum tubing would defeat the safety aspect of a boom-less rig. I regularly sail my 17 with children, people who are older or simply don't move too well. I like the SC tubular batten in the bottom pocket for that reason.