Mast Rake

Technical discussion of ARC products
DanBerger
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC 15 w/ spin!, SC 19

Mast Rake

Post by DanBerger »

I know this has been discussed before, but I'm still curious. I seem to recall the magic number was 5-6 degrees. I have a self tacking jib on my 15 and my rake is at about 11 degrees. The boat is fast and I really like the way it handles. I don't know how I got there, but it just works.

I measured the angle of the deck, then subtracted the angle of the mast to get around 11. Is this way too much??
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Re: Mast Rake

Post by Matt Haberman »

Dan,

5 degrees is the number, but there is nothing magic about it. You need to find a number that works with you sails,etc.
That being said, 11 degrees seems like a lot. Do you have weather helm?
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
DanBerger
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC 15 w/ spin!, SC 19

Post by DanBerger »

I think I may adjust he rig a little bit, but it really does work for me. I was faster than most Hobie 16s last year!

I don't have weather helm--never had it. The boat has always sailed very well. I do notice that when trapping upwind, I am very far forward.
Eric2101
Professional
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 15

Post by Eric2101 »

Hello all,

I have been under the impression that we should rake back as the wind grows.... and adjust rudder rake accordingly. Maybe the 11 degree rake suits your average wind condition. I see that the H-16's rake a lot in heavy weather and are able to correct out over fastr more powerful boats. Maybe we should pay more attention to the rake when setting up. (?)

Eric
Eric Arbogast
Supercat 15