Getting my SC 20 on the water

Technical discussion of ARC products
Mac M
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC17

Re: Getting my SC 20 on the water

Post by Mac M »

Paintings finally done! Started putting on the decals and Hydro Turf. I was doing both of these by myself but stopped on the decals so I could get an extra pair of hands. Got the striping and all on one side buts it's a little wavy, probably pull it off and reapply with some help.

Put the Turf on this evening, it went pretty well. I first covered the area with wax paper and made a template by tracing and then cutting it out. I then took this template and placed it on the back side of the Hydro Turf sheets and outlined with a sharpie (black actually showed up). Next I cut it out with a sharp razor knife. After test fitting everything I put contact cement on both the hill and the sheets. After the cement set up I set the sheets. Thanks to Kevin Keller advice I put wax paper between the hull and sheets to help with fitting. When contact cement touches itself its there! The wax paper let me fit it up a little at a time and make some adjustments when necessary. After fitting the sheets I took a dry roller and rolled over it to make sure everything was stuck together. All in all things turned out pretty well. I highly advise anyone doing this to test fit several times. An extra set of hands would have been nice also. I ordered 3 sheets but only used 2.

Plan on finishing the stripes and decals tomorrow and rigging Thursday! The previous owner is coming out to help me with the self tacker and the spin rigging. He was nice enough to offer some took him up on it. Next pics will hopefully have sails and action in them!

Kevin Keller
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC-20, ARC22

Post by Kevin Keller »

That's looking real nice. Depending on the type of paint you used you can sand it and buff it to a smooth high luster. I just sanded mine and didn't buff it out.

Looking forward to seeing it all rigged.
Mac M
Professional

Post by Mac M »

I used an industrial two part high build polyurethane. Didn't realize it was high build until it was already tinted. I sanded between the second and third coat, it looks pretty good, great from a few feet haha.

Rigging in 2 days and looks to be a little wind on the lake this weekend!!! I'll have the GoPro mounted to catch the action...
Mac M
Professional

Post by Mac M »

Finally got on the water!!!

Here's a short video, there wasn't much wind for most of the afternoon. The wind finally picked up but my batteries died.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g23ddo49FiM&feature=plcp
Mac M
Professional

Post by Mac M »

Couple more pictures.....

Mac M
Professional

Post by Mac M »

Couple more picturse and a video with some better action. We were moving along pretty good and there really wasn't that much wind, fun! I didn't take the spin out this day, not too crazy about the bag launch, prefer the snuffer system like my Viper. May convert it over this winter.

http://youtu.be/XZlptNGQXIU

Mac M
Professional

Post by Mac M »

Got the kite up for a little while last weekend. I hope to switch it to a snuffer style launching system soon.

Kevin Keller
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC-20, ARC22

Post by Kevin Keller »

Very nice!
whereditgo
Novice
Boat Make/Model: sc20

Post by whereditgo »

Mac,

Nice looking Cat!!!

I have a SC20 with telescoping beams and would like to add the self tacking jib to it. Had a few questions if you don't mind.

1. What are the approx dimmensions of your jib (Foot, Luff, Leach)?

2. How is attached to the forestay (zipper luff) or does it have a wire Luff?

3. What Supports the lower luff (between the spin pole and forstay bridle), is there a short verticle pole between the spin pole and bridle?

Any close-up pics would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
Mac M
Professional

Post by Mac M »

Mike,

I don't have the boat anymore so can't give you any measurements. I regret selling it though! If I can find another one near by ill probably grab it!

The self tacking set up on the boat was homemade, but pretty well done. The jib was attached to the forestay by a zipper, nothing fancy. There was a short pole between the spin pole and bridle, I believe they call it a pelican striker. The jib attached directly to the spin pole. My boat also had telescoping beams.

If you search some posts by Kevin Keller you should find some info on installing a self tacker, he did a nice job and is a wealth of information.