Removing hull stripe tape....

General Sailing Discussion
Mizzousailor
Novice
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 19 standard model

Removing hull stripe tape....

Post by Mizzousailor »

After finishing up rebuilding my SC19 over winter, we're enjoying the heck out of this fast, fast boat. I want to make her look nicer, though, and cannot find any product yet that will remove the faded, cracked hull strip tape. I bought some decal remover at an auto parts store but it didn't work. Tried acetone (no luck) and then a sharp knife to scrape and peel the tape, but ended up nicking the hull too much. Suggestions? Thanks! - Wes
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Re: Removing hull stripe tape....

Post by Matt Haberman »

Mizzousailor,

You have two options that I know of.

1) Heat gun and a lot a patience. Just be careful that you just get the tape warm to soften the glue but not too hot as to damage the hull. You should then be able to peel the tape off the hull, but probably only an inch or two at a time. Once you have all the tape off the hull Acetone will remove the residual glue. I am assuming that your hull is gelcoat and has not been painted, if it is has been painted then I would avoid Acetone and fine a solvent that is compatible with the paint.

2) 3M used to make a little plastic brush like tool that you put in your drill and would strip the tape off the hull. Not sure what it was called or if they even still make it, but an autobody supply store is probably your best bet. This would remove the tape but you will still need to remove the adhesive with a solvent.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
Kevin Keller
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC-20, ARC22

Post by Kevin Keller »

Peter Kirschhoffer
Novice
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 15

Post by Peter Kirschhoffer »

You can also try rubber cement thinner. The main ingredient is Heptane. This works well to attack the adhesive on most label products. I use it to remove boat license stickers, bumper stickers, old state park stickers, new product labels, etc. You have to really saturate the label, especially when getting started. I have used it on my SC-15, (gel coat), and painted car surfaces with out any problems, but test it to be sure.
Mizzousailor
Novice
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 19 standard model

Post by Mizzousailor »

Thanks everyone.....I'll let y'all know which method I used and how it turned out. I took my daughter-in-law sailing on my SC-19 two weekends ago and she couldn't believe a boat could go that fast just powered by the wind. Wait till she tries hiking out on a trap!
Eric2101
Professional
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 15

Post by Eric2101 »

Keep her away from the ARC21......
Eric Arbogast
Supercat 15