Righting

Technical discussion of ARC products
Mac M
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC17

Righting

Post by Mac M »

The guy I bought my SC20 went out with me on my inaugural sail yesterday. He is telling me that there is no way I'll be able to right the boat even with the shroud extenders and crew without help from a powerboat. How does this hold with everyone else's experience? Its a tall rig by the way.
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Re: Righting

Post by Matt Haberman »

Mac,

It is possible, but there are a lot of factors that play into the the success or failure. Is the mast watertight, Wind Speed, direction, wave action, crew position on the righting line, Mainsheet & traveler position, etc.... All of these things play a role in how successful you will be.

On several occasions I have been on the ARC22 when it has tipped over and in most cases two of us have righted the boat with no outside assistance. On the occasions that we needed a powerboat it was usually discovered later that the mast was not watertight and it had water in it. My most recent swim was about two years ago and I got the 22 back up with my crew SITTING on the lower hull and not even pulling on the righting line... I weigh about 185 lbs and I used the righting system and HUNG from the righting line, the boat came up in about 45 seconds. So yes it can be done.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
Mac M
Professional

Post by Mac M »

How do you rig your righting line? I was thinking tie off to the dolphin striker throw over the hull? Could I leave it tied off or would the fact that the striker floats cause problems?
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Mac,

We just put the righting line over the top of the hull and then tie it around the beam where it meets the hull. This is the strongest connection point and a better location then the dolphin striker post. I would be concerned that you could bend the dolphin striker post if the rope moved out away from the beam.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
Kevin Keller
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC-20, ARC22

Post by Kevin Keller »

I have righted my SC-20 alone also.
Mac M
Professional

Post by Mac M »

I guess I need to grow a pair and turn it over and find out for myself! I had trouble getting the mainsheet to release yesterday and almost went over. Man we were WAY up in the air!!
Eric2101
Professional
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 15

Post by Eric2101 »

Craig and I have righted his wide TM 20 several times. You need a little wind and get it 90 degrees to the wind.
Eric Arbogast
Supercat 15