Dyneema & Adjustable Trapeze

Technical discussion of ARC products
fjviola
Professional
Boat Make/Model: ARC 21 and Supercat 17

Dyneema & Adjustable Trapeze

Post by fjviola »

Upon purchasing the ARC21 from Eric Arbogast, the first thing he told me to replace was the trap lines. Sure enough, my 235 lbs snapped the port skipper's trap on our second voyage, dropping me into the drink and "fortunately" flipping the cat (I hung onto mainsheet with a death grip).

With new rope technology prevailing, I replaced all four (4) trap lines with 1/8" Dyneema, as well as incorporating 'adjustability' into the harness hook-up system.

Photo 1: Dyneema eye-splice "luggage-tagged" onto SS Ring to be secured on mast hound
Dyneema Trap 5604.jpg
Photo 2: Dyneema eye-splice on "Sailmakers Thimble" with Handle (1" OD Delrin stick covered with Schwinn bicycle gel-grip)
Dyneema Trap 5603.jpg
Photo 3: Both ends of Dyneema trap line. Splices at either end are shrouded with flexible clear plastic tubing to prevent chaffing and to give some 'body' to the limp Dyneema at those junctions.
Dyneema Trap 5602.jpg
Photo 4: 3:1 Adjustable hook-up system. I have since replaced the "can't-miss-rings" with simple SS Rings eye-spliced to an 1/8" Dyneema pigtail, passing through a bullet-block, and then tie directly to the trapeze Bungee lines running beneath the trampoline. (also deleted is the small white line in photo)
Adjustable Trapeze 5542.jpg
Photo 4: Final 3:1 Adjustable hook-up with SS Ring. I may run the Orange line (coreless Robline racing sheet which is very easy to manage cleating and un-cleating as it does not 'bind' or wedge under load) back up to bottom of the V-Cleat/Block, which would take out some slack as well as make the total purchase 4:1 (perfect for us heavy ballast!)
Adjustable Trapeze 6127.jpg
franklin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eric2101
Professional
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 15

Re: Dyneema & Adjustable Trapeze

Post by Eric2101 »

Nice work Franklin, quality looking work.
Eric Arbogast
Supercat 15
SC15Av8or
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC15 / SC19

Post by SC15Av8or »

Puuuuurrrdy !!!!
Lifes 2 short for cheap GROG
SuperCat 15/19Av8or
Bill Roberts
Expert

Post by Bill Roberts »

I've tried'em on the 30 and they don't work so good. As soon as it is trap time these trapese lines turn into banjo strings. They are vibrating and turn into a blurr a few inches wide and are very draggy. Wire trap wires don't viberate.
Bill
PS Maybe your boat doesn't go fast enough to cause the viberation. If no vibs, then they are fine.
SC15Av8or
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC15 / SC19

Post by SC15Av8or »

Bill Roberts wrote:PS Maybe your boat doesn't go fast enough to cause the viberation. If no vibs, then they are fine.

Ouch Bill !!!! :D :lol:
Lifes 2 short for cheap GROG
SuperCat 15/19Av8or