Replacing SS Rudder pins

Technical discussion of ARC products
gahamby
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 15#315

Replacing SS Rudder pins

Post by gahamby »

My SC 15 has the original SS tubular rudder pins. I am told these should be replaced with plastic breakaway pins. What kind of plastic?
Is it advisable to trailer the boat with the rudders dismounted?
Mac M
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC17

Re: Replacing SS Rudder pins

Post by Mac M »

Call Tom, he'll set you up, they are inexpensive. I just got new ones and they are really easy to pop off and pull the rudders/castings for trailering. If I'm going any distance I take mine off.
SC15Av8or
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC15 / SC19

Post by SC15Av8or »

Mac M wrote:Call Tom, he'll set you up, they are inexpensive. I just got new ones and they are really easy to pop off and pull the rudders/castings for trailering. If I'm going any distance I take mine off.
Absolutely..... I ordered 4 for each boat and a spare set of 2 that I carry when I go out. Always good to have a back up gahamby in case one breaks or some one forgets theirs ..... :wink: :D
Lifes 2 short for cheap GROG
SuperCat 15/19Av8or
gahamby
Professional

Post by gahamby »

Now that was an easy upgrade. None of the old roll pins I knocked out survived.
SC15Av8or
Professional

Post by SC15Av8or »

Awesome......Lets sail MAN !!
SuperCat 15/19Av8or
Bill Roberts
Expert

Post by Bill Roberts »

Question: Why are the rudder pins so large in diameter on SC and ARC products???
gahamby
Professional

Post by gahamby »

Question: Why are the rudder pins so large in diameter on SC and ARC products???
Bill, I was under the impression you designed the super cat. Please advise. GH
Mac M
Professional

Post by Mac M »

GH, I think he's giving us a quiz!

I'm going to say the rudder pins are so big to provide a greater area to pivot around?

Mac
gahamby
Professional

Post by gahamby »

nobody said there was going to be a quiz
Bill Roberts
Expert

Post by Bill Roberts »

It is a quiz.
I grew up sailing Snipes. The bronze rudder pintles and gudgens were about 1/4 ins in diameter. By the end of one sailing season holes were worn out and the pins worn down so that the rudder movement was sloppy and it made a clunk sound when you moved the tiller. The larger pin size is there to provide a major increase 'bearing area' in the rudder pivot system. I sailed on lakes in Tennessee. I guess we did alot of sculling with the rudder in our drifting contests.
BTW the Delrin plastic rudder pins are not breakaway. Delrin was chosen because it is strong and self lubricating.
havliii
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 19, Modded SC20

Post by havliii »

Bill, Can we coax you to come sail the 'Chesapeake Bay' and do a tuning/sailing session? We have at least 10 Supercats in the non-club. Five 15's, three 19's, two 20's, one 18 square (rare and the owner hardly ever sails it). We could throw some money in the hat for expenses and pay.

Best regards,
Andy Lundstrom

PS I went from devloping to hot shot with this post (awesome I must be sailing better already)
Last edited by havliii on July 16th, 2013, 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mac M
Professional

Post by Mac M »

Sounds like a informal SC eastern championships. We'd come up from South Carolina and bring the 19XL!
havliii
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 19, Modded SC20

Post by havliii »

Mac, that would be awesome.......... you are hereby nominated as the President, S. Carolina Chapter of the RnBCYC. We only have one club rule, and that is: there are no dues, meetings, bylaws or rules. (see rule one)

Andy
SC15Av8or
Professional

Post by SC15Av8or »

havliii wrote:Mac, that would be awesome.......... you are hereby nominated as the President, S. Carolina Chapter of the RnBCYC. We only have one club rule, and that is: there are no dues, meetings, bylaws or rules. (see rule one)

Andy

Wait Commodore doesn't he have to attend a meeting before you nominate him??? Never mind Rule one exempts him....got it. I had read it a few times to understand it. These darn non-club....club rules are soooo confusing !! You did forget to mention our racing though in that nomination !!

Mac the only racing we do is to the cooler at the end of the day and it is NASCAR style. Remember rule one ......no rules !!!!
SuperCat 15/19Av8or
SC15Av8or
Professional

Post by SC15Av8or »

BTW the Delrin plastic rudder pins are not breakaway. Delrin was chosen because it is strong and self lubricating./quote]

Bill.....

That is an interesting fact. I did not realize that they were not breakaway pins. I though that was why the switch from stainless because too many guys in Florida were tearing out their sterns in rough surf when launching from the beaches. So the "plastic" ones would shear easier sparing all the work and heart ache of ones boat opening up like a can of tomatoes from a fast hard grounding or rough beach surf launch.
Bill, Can we coax you to come sail the 'Chesapeake Bay' and do a tuning/sailing session?
I for sure would be interested!! It is a great place to sail too :D 8) :wink: Sure any of us would be happy to hand the helm over to you !!
SuperCat 15/19Av8or