Supercat 19 spinnaker

Technical discussion of ARC products
TopSpin80
Devloping
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 19

Supercat 19 spinnaker

Post by TopSpin80 »

Ok, so I got most of the stuff together, and for now am sizing up different spinnaker setups.

F18 spin is way too tall for the 1/3 of the distance up the mast above the stay's for the bale, or the pole would be way too long.
I17 spin is what is shown in the pic. It seems pretty close to what is needed. What are the expert recommendations? The foot on this spin seems a little short. I feel I need the pole angled at least that high so the forward attachment gets a downward angle.

Thanks,
Ernie

The spin is sheeted to the same location is the stock jib blocks, this is the short mast 19
There are a few different photos that look about the same but hopefully ya'll can see the spin at some different angles and see what the best method forward is. Maybe this is the correct size for the boat. What dimensions of spins would be optimal for the boat?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mac M
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC17

Re: Supercat 19 spinnaker

Post by Mac M »

First off not an expert. One thing I noticed in the pictures is how far forward your snuffer is. On most boats it stops right past the bridals. Are you putting any prebend in the pole? Prebend will keep the pole from inverting under load. I looked at an I17 spin sail for my boat, I believe it had a luff of around 25ft. An F16 spin sail should be shorter. I can measure my spare F16 sail if you want.

I'm in the process of putting a spinnaker on my 19XL (33ft mast). I'm have an F18 kite I bought but it is too short from 1/3 above the hounds, so I'm playing with the set up. There's a chance I might have to go to a I20 sail.

Btw those are some sharp sails! Who made them?
TopSpin80
Devloping

Post by TopSpin80 »

The snuffer is a mid pole SNU, but with the end pole I17 sail it needs to be that far out. If I have a sail made I will have patches put into it to be able to use the snuffer system mid pole.

Thanks, the sails were made by C&C in here in Houston. They are a really heavy grey pentex I seem to be pretty rough on things, but they are holding up well.

Ernie
Bill Roberts
Expert

Post by Bill Roberts »

Developing,
You are wasting alot of time and effort. Why don't you go to the factory for information and the correct spinnaker for your boat.
Spinnaker technology is moving fast. A two year old spinnaker can be totally the wrong cut and non competitive. The top of your mainsail is made wrong. It should be at least parappel to free stream flow or even slightly above to minimize tip leakage. The top of your mainsail is going downhill and it is going to leak and make the top part of your mainsail less effective at producing thrust. Now how much money do you think you saved ? For another ten dollars worth of sailcloth, the sail could have been made right.
Bill
TopSpin80
Devloping

Post by TopSpin80 »

Bill,
Maybe I should have had the factory make the sail, but how was I really supposed to know that? There is not a lot of information of these boats out there, and as a novice I went to a few local sail lofts got a decent price from one close to home and had them make it. The boat would never really balance before, no matter how much or how little mast rake it had. The original main was completely blown out, and it seems to be setup with handle-able helm now. The factory is thousands of miles from the Texas coast and this is an '82 whaler, I guess I just figured they wouldn't want a lot to do with it because its slightly out of "warranty" being they probably didn't even build it.

I'm here now for factory and expert help and appreciate the opportunity to ask you guy's what is wrong with my setup. A few corrections, I am more than willing to make, but at this time I don't have a lot of money to spend on this spin setup and had most of the stuff already, all the spinnakers were borrowed, and before I buy one I want to make sure I am willing to even go down this route. I'm just asking what kind of sizing this spinnaker should have, and where should it sheet to. The forums have helped a lot on how high to put the bale. Most of this experiment is "fun" there aren't enough of these around to have any sort of class, and you guys have a quite large following of the boats here on the Texas gulf coast. I know of 3 19's, 3 17's, a 20, 2 21's, and a 22 within about 50 miles.

Regards,
Ernie
SC15Av8or
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC15 / SC19

Post by SC15Av8or »

Damn Ernie !!! Are you boys trying to keep up with us Mid-Atlantic crews !! I thought we had the run on these. We have an 18sqd though. Beat that !!!
Lifes 2 short for cheap GROG
SuperCat 15/19Av8or