Square top and self tacking jib?

Technical discussion of ARC products
DanBerger
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC 15 w/ spin!, SC 19

Re: Square top and self tacking jib?

Post by DanBerger »

I agree that the self tacking jib isn't a go fast addition (over the stock jib) and it really does make single handing a LOT easier. I got mine just for that reason.

OK, now on the ARC 17 VS A cat downwind? No way. On an A-C course, the 17 wouldn't stand a chance. Beam reach? different story.

I have an A cat, though not a 30K one. I don't believe for a minute the 17 would beat it down wind.
Bill Roberts
Expert

Post by Bill Roberts »

Pro,
If your top priority is to go sailing, buy a beam from Tom with everything all worked out.
If you enjoy working on the boat more, then get into the front beam development program.
By the time you are finished, the telescoping front beam won't telescope anymore. You can
make a beam with all the features you want, but it will probably take all summer to build and develop.
Bill Roberts
Expert

Post by Bill Roberts »

Yes, the telescoping beam can carry the spinaker pole compression loads. Attach the bracket with short machine screws. The machine screws cannot extend through the outer tube such that they touch the inner tube if you still need to telescope. Install these short screws 5200 marine seal so that they will not losen up with use. There should be more than four machine screws holding the bracket to the tube.
Mac M
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC17

Post by Mac M »

Thanks,

I do not want to go into the 'front beam development program' so I've asked Tom for a quote on a front beam with the self tacking parts and a self tacking jib sail. Will proceed when he comes up with some numbers for me.

Considering taking it to Florida for the Steeplechase!