Hobie 16

General Sailing Discussion
Bill Roberts
Expert

Re: Hobie 16

Post by Bill Roberts »

Kevin,
There are two kinds of reefing. There is reefing for survival and there is reefing for speed.
Reefing for survival is reefing from the top down and rolling the excess up at the foot. Now you have less sail area and a much lower aspect ratio sail. Sail aspect ratio is in the denominator of the sail induced drag calculation. Lower aspect ratio increases the induced drag coefficient. I wonder why sails are getting so tall and narrow now days? Look at the A Cat class. They could have any sail plan form they want and look what they have evolved to for highest performance.
Reefing or reducing sail area for speed is making the sail more narrow but keeping full luff length. Remember that the sail area that produces forward thrust is the front half. So don't reduce that area. The sail area that it pushing sideways and making the boat fly a hull and reaching max righting moment in less wind is the aft half of the mainsail. So reduce that area. Cut the leech back. I have reduced the sail area in my main and jib by 30% by making the sails more narrow. The boat is definitely faster in winds of 15 mph and more with the narrow sails than with the top down reefing. Another benefit of the narrow is that the sail becomes very "twisty". By that I mean the sail twists and untwists very quickly. Power up and power down happens with a small amount of mainsheet movement. The puffs are much more manageable than with the full size sail or with the top down reefing scheme.
Kevin Keller
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC-20, ARC22

Post by Kevin Keller »

That's interesting. Do you have picture of your high wind sail? Maybe I will get one made for my 22 since the winds these days in Oahu are averaging above 15 kts.
Bill Roberts
Expert

Post by Bill Roberts »

You are right Dan,
A SC 17 with a 15 rig on it would be a rocket on a windy day.
All beach cats would be faster on a windy day with smaller rigs/sails.
Bill Roberts
Expert

Post by Bill Roberts »

Here we go again. Did all of you experts know that some SC20s were sold with reefing capability from the factory. All details worked out years ago. Where have you been? Oh I know, let's go see how Hobie or Prindle or NACRA did it and then we will know. Hmmmm, well if Hobie or Prindle or NACRA hasn't done it, I guess it can't be done or hasn't been done yet.
Oh, and by the way, The RC30 that sails in the Mug Race for the last 20 years sails with a reefed main. The 30 mainsail is for a std 45 ft mast. The Mug Race rules require the 30 to use a 41ft mast for bridge clearance reasons. Therefore the std main is reefed 4ft. This has been done for over 20 years. Now what's new?