New to list: just aquired a Whaler-era SC-17

General Sailing Discussion
RallyDogRacing
Novice

New to list: just aquired a Whaler-era SC-17

Post by RallyDogRacing »

It's been a couple decades since I was last on one of these boats and I've jumped back in. I'm now the proud owner of an '84 SC-17. While I'm in now for almost $3k I've got (2) main sales, (2) masts, spare spars and rigging and a new trailer in addition to a faily sound boat. The PO did a repair to some damage on the port side hull that's going to need to be cleaned up as well as the whole things need wet sanding (orange peel finish) but she sails nice! So howdy and hi. I'm sure I'll be asking a few questions to everyone.

If you're ever really stuck after breaking a mast ball/mount (as we did when we lost a shroud) I found that you can make a temp repair by using a 2" trailer-hitch ball with a 3/4" shank. We drilled and tapped the remains of the mast plate and were able to get back up and sailing! It's just like rally racing...

The boat is currently in AuGres, MI but may end up back in Chicago if I can find storage or others who like to sail!

By the way, if anyone wants to enlighten me as to what I need to have done to my fairly used battened-jib to make it friendly to the roller furling setup on my spare rigging I'd appreciate it... or perhaps tell me why I shouldn't change it...

Cheers!
Rob Dupree
Chicago, IL
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just returned to sailing cats after two decades of big mono-hulls.

Anyone want to teach me how to REALLY sail this thing?
dave trey
Novice

SC 17

Post by dave trey »

Hey Bob.....was that you up on Traverse Bay during the "A" Cat Nats ? I have also acquired an 84 SC17 recently and will be sailing it out of Traverse City. Most of your Chicago guys come here in the summer anyway, so consider coming up or leaving boat . I'm looking for replacement sails but hull and rigging on mine are magnificent, as if new. If you have any parts to spare, let me know and stay in touch as we can help each other out. These are rare boats !!!! :) :) My email is davetrey@hotmail.com
RallyDogRacing
Novice

Post by RallyDogRacing »

Spares, yeah I've got some (main spars, main sail, rudders, mast...) because I bought the abandoned boat down the beach. I'm not too keen on dumping off my spares, but I suppose you could convince me...

Wasn't up in TVC, but used to live up there and attend NMC. I was one of those student pilots buzzing around... :wink:

Working on relocating the boat from AuGres Michigan to Highland Park, IL for better usability.

Send me a private for bribe-level offers on spares. rob@flyinghead.com
BTW: I personally am on the hunt for a roller furling jib, since I've got the roller furler mechanism from the parts-boat.

Cheers!
Just returned to sailing cats after two decades of big mono-hulls.

Anyone want to teach me how to REALLY sail this thing?
Jim Moody
Devloping

Post by Jim Moody »

Bob:

Welcome back to the sailing world.
If you're ever in the Florida Panhandle area there are a bunch of ARC sailors here.

Jim
Jim Moody

ARC 2242 CUT IT OUT
thommerrill
Professional
Boat Make/Model: ARC22,FMS20,F25c

Post by thommerrill »

Jim-

I heard you cartwheeled your 22???? if so how was it?
thommerrill
F25c 009 - Charisma
FMS 20 57 - newly faired and painted with Awlgrip -For Sale
Jim Moody
Devloping

Post by Jim Moody »

FAST AND VERY PAINFUL!!!

Wish we had a video of the three 22's, neck and neck, chutes pulling, right on the edge. With the right background music it would have rivaled the Spitfire video.

Move to Tampa yet?
Jim Moody

ARC 2242 CUT IT OUT
thommerrill
Professional

Post by thommerrill »

Been promoted/no Tampa. I didn't ask for the upgrade but the $$$ are worth it.

I recall 30 years ago [1974] on a close reach with two other Tornados...all three cartwheeled in SF Bay. No videos then but I still remember the water being cold...pkus the two broken fingers( ;<{===

Is there an RTI this year???
thommerrill
F25c 009 - Charisma
Jim Moody
Devloping

Post by Jim Moody »

DEFINITE YES TO THE '05 RTI

This year will be sponsored/run through the Fort Walton Yacht Club. They planned it for last year but Ivan changed everyones mind.

Hopefully the Carlton Tucker scholorship fund will be linked with RTI this year. Dates, etc. should be on the FWYC web site.

No broken bones, but a nasty lac. to the triceps area--thought the muscle was cut in two--all from falling into the mast/bridle wires.
Jim Moody

ARC 2242 CUT IT OUT
thommerrill
Professional

Post by thommerrill »

Just squirt in some superglue and go sailing...

Once sailing/crewing a one off C cat in the bay we hit a large fish??? The collision was so violent it threw the skipper forward. He hit the stay and nearly severed his ear off. I wrapped his head with a shirt and took him to the local er. They sewed it back on and luckily it healed [a little crooked] and its still there as of last year.
thommerrill
F25c 009 - Charisma