Roller Furling Jib question

Technical discussion of ARC products
jbshu24
Hot Shot

Roller Furling Jib question

Post by jbshu24 »

Just got my standing rigging from Tom and got to sail yesterday, looks great!

One question I have is what the short thin red line is for? The shroud adjuster came with three connectors, a pin, a shackle, and a twisted shackle.
I have the bottom of my jib attached to the twisted shackle, and the forestay on the pin. Is the shackle there just to tie the jib halyard off to?
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Re: Roller Furling Jib question

Post by Matt Haberman »

I think the short red line your describing is the downhaul for the jib, which gets tied off on the twisted shackle. Can you post a picture of your setup?
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
jbshu24
Hot Shot

Post by jbshu24 »

I reattached with using the red line to hold the jib, does that look right? It at least uses all the parts more thoroughly.

Do most people run the black line to the tramp so they can let the jib in and out while on the water?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Easy question first - Yes the black roller furling line should go back to a cleat on the starboard hull located near the end of the tramp track. This allows you to furl and unfurl the jib while on the water. Make sure the line leads smoothly from the roller furling drum back to the cleat.

Your Jib rigging isn't quite right. The grommet at the tack of the jib should be secured directly to the bottom hole in the chain plate using the standard shackle. The twisted shackle should be attached in the next hole up on the opposite side. The red down-haul line is tied to the shackle and then threaded back and forth between the eye in the end of the wire halyard and the twisted shackle. Once this is secure you can remove your blue halyard line from the wire.

Does that make sense?
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
jbshu24
Hot Shot

Post by jbshu24 »

Thanks Matt, yes that does make sense.